Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1996 Daytona 770 - WHAT oil for pre-mix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Daytona 770 - WHAT oil for pre-mix?

Hi Folks,
    me AGAIN!

Went to the local marine supply store today looking for a decent oil for the above ski.

Got home and thought i would search on here for quicksilver oil.. WOW lots of answers, yes & no - for & against using this oil in my ski ( Its the quicksilver PWC version i was thinking of using) it is £50 a gallon over here - thats about $92 your side of the pond.

Now bearing(!) in mind that 90% of the oils you people use i can't get over here :

1. Do i need a full synthetic or a blend.
    2. Is the quicksilver PCW - No good, just about good enough or way over the top.
    3. Should the oil have ash, be low ash or even no ash.
    4. Picked up a new battery for the ski today from a seadoo dealer, about 50 miles away. should i use a seadoo oil instead?
    5. If this quicksilver PWC oil is "kack" (uk slang for not up to it) could someone please point me in the right direction.

With all the above in mind, would SBT say the PWC oil is 100% compatable with one of their replacement engines (AFTER using their running in oil).

Dont get me wrong, i'm more than willing to buy the above oil.... IF its up to the job!

and finaly, on a related note - best way to drain the tank completly? (short of removing the engine to get the tank out!)??

I'm thinking pull the fuel line off the carb and drain via that. When i have the tank empty i was going to bung 1-2 gallons of UN-mixed petrol into the tank, shake the bike up to move it all around then drain as above and then dispose. This would hopefully clear out any old oil residue & clean the inside of the tank. Ski has been stood for 2 yrs with pre-mix just sat in the tank.

Theres a good chance that the fuel filter(s) (?) are gonna need replacing too, Do i need to order the Tigershark one, or would any similar sized MARINE filter(s) do the job.

Sorry for the really long posts, completly outta my depth with ski's :)

I have the chance to buy a brand new MAG side carb on the cheap, is it worth having/fitting just one new carb & re-building the other. Or would the cash be better spent on other things & re-building both carbs.

Many thanks folks for reading my rantings:emoticont

Dale
    Always on the hunt for servicable Tigershark 770 Daytona (1996 & 1997) parts. Complete CDI anyone?? '97 I need EVERYTHING motor related... Including the Motor :)

Re: 1996 Daytona 770 - WHAT oil for pre-mix?

a gallon of oil is $92 over there!? Over here $50 is expensive...

Full synthetic is probably the best oil you can get, semi-synthetic isnt bad either though. Do you guys have Klotz brand oil over there? That's pretty good stuff in my opinion. I wouldnt say quiksilver is 'kack' I havent heard any problems with it, except for it smokes a bit more then others.

SBT recommends what they want to, so you'll have to ask tech about that, I would guess that they would recommend what the manufacturer does though, but since TS is out of commssion...

For draining the tank, cant you remove your sender unit without much difficulty? If not, the carb line might work, but you'd be putting gum in it, and it might even clog. Then you can disconnect all the lines and stuff from it, and syphon it out, and add some fuel and take a long toilet wand and scrap it around in there. If theres still gunk in it, you can take a hose and squirt water all over the place, and take a 'clean' long conventional toilet wand and stuff it in there and and try to clean it out. But you have to make sure you let it dry completely out, and you dont get any dirt or anything in it, water or elsewise in the gas is never good.

For fuel filters it depends, I had to stick with OEM on mine because its a weird shape and is a combination water filter, but if it looks like a regular old filter, any filter from the Sea-Doo dealer (Im sure they have aftermarket there) will work. I've even heard of some people using certain automobile ones, although not all work because it puts too much stress on the pump.

Comment

I have used the Quicksilver PWC oil, including the mineral, synthetic blend, and full synthetic..all have given fully acceptable performance. It is a reasonably priced oil in each category. Use the type you feel most comfortable with, or in your case, the type that is readily available to you. Your ski can use all three type with no problems.
      John Kubiak
      Powersports Technical Training Professional
      Las Vegas, Nevada
      Sea-Doo Tech 13736
      PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
      PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
      NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
      Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the info people - any ideas on me buying just the one new carb??
        Always on the hunt for servicable Tigershark 770 Daytona (1996 & 1997) parts. Complete CDI anyone?? '97 I need EVERYTHING motor related... Including the Motor :)

Comment

Working...
        X