1997 montego wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 montego wont start

I'm looking at a ski that is for sale that will not start. The owner told me that it ran last season and at the beginning of this season it will not start up. The engine turns over. He said that he put a new starter in it and a new battery and still nothing. Is it possible that the starter is not engaging and turning over the motor. Is there a flywheel that it engages into? I've yet to go look at it and check this but i was wondering first if anyone else has had this problem or knows whats wrong.

Re: 1997 montego wont start

If it ran last season, you are probably dealing with a fuel issue. It could be anything from bad gas to the carburetor needing some maintenance. In the last year or so boaters have been dealing with ethanol being introduced to the gasoline supplies. Ethanol, over a period of time creates fuel separation which creates a lot of problems. It could also be water in the gas tank. You could try to drain out as much gas as you can and add some "waterzorb" to a fresh tank of fuel. Check to make sure you have a good spark at your cylinders. If you do, you more than likely have some sort of fuel issue. Even if the Tigershark was properly winterized with fuel stabilizer, it doesn't prevent fuel separation in ethanol blended gasolines. Check these things out. I hope it helps.

Comment

Thanks for the fast response..Do you know if there is a flywheel that the starter engages to? Or how exactly the starting system works.

Comment

Originally posted by dkgenerallee
        Thanks for the fast response..Do you know if there is a flywheel that the starter engages to? Or how exactly the starting system works.
        Yes there is. If you want to see the breakdown of parts for your model go to www.arcticcatonlineparts.com then click on parts and go thru the prompts until you find your model.

Comment

I guess my first post in this topic was a bit confusing I just realized. What i meant is the engine is not seized up so it would turn over if it worked. The problem is I can hear the starter turning but it does not turn the motor over. The guy that has it for sale is not real mechanically inclined but he did put the new starter in. Is it possible for it to be in wrong or is it pretty fail safe. It looks as if its in correctly. The site in the last post showed me the pieces but didnt show exactly how they all link together. Does someone know which pieces turn which other pieces to make the motor turn over.

Comment

My Montego starts if I dump fuel straight into the carb and runs. As soon as the fuel is burnt up it dies. Could this be my fuel pump? I was looking @ the fuel system and it looks like the pump itself is a small diaphragm on the side of the carb? Is this correct? I read about fuel seperation also. My fuel was in the ski when I purchased it and I don't know for how long it was in there. So, my problem rests in the fuel system and I don't know which way to go with it. I'll try new gas. Could oil also lead to problems? Thanks theowat38
            Anyway to go with this would be great :beer

Comment

Working...
            X