Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TS770 1999 Impeller stuck on shaft. HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS770 1999 Impeller stuck on shaft. HELP!

I bought a 1999 TS770 on eBay. The impeller binds so tight against against the bottom of the wear ring that I can't turn the engine over. The impeller does not rub against the upper 2/3 of the wear ring therefore the impeller is okay. (I pulled the wear ring off and now the impeller unit turns freely). I suspect salt water corrosion on the wear ring. Two questions: Can I just lightly mill the inner bottom of the wear ring on a lathe to get some clearance? Second question: I want to pull the impeller to have it sent in and checked. It's just hanging on the end of the shaft in the fiberglass tunnel (all other pump components are removed). I can pull it back and forth along the shaft about 1/4" but it will not come off even with fierce hammering at it. Is the impeller splined on the shaft? The end nut at the back has been removed with the short shaft so I don't see what is holding it back, especially since it moves up/down on the long shaft about 1/4".

:( Any advice?

Thanks,

PKSlice

Re: TS770 1999 Impeller stuck on shaft. HELP!

The impeller un screws from the jet pump stater shaft, it should not be stuck to the shaft. If you are able to unscrew it then it should come off the end of the shaft with no problem. As for milling out the wear ring I dont think you will have any luck, salt works its way in between the housing and the ring causing the ring to get pushed against the impeller. This will keep getting worse. Just replace the wear ring. Check out roguejets.net for the wear ring, Sbt does not carry that one.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you mean the impeller unscrews from the stub shaft? I unscrewed the stub shaft and pulled the wear ring and outer housing from the rear, leaving the impeller still hanging on the shaft that goes through the hull and floating bearing. If it unscrews from this (longer) shaft, then how come I can push/pull the impeller for and aft about 1/4" whilst still on that shaft?

Thanks again,

PKSlice

Comment

There is an o-ring in the nose of the impeller that is holding you on, It can be tough to pull apart, Polaris uses the same type set up, pull hard.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I will wrap a rope around the impeller and attach it to an easy-out, and rachet it off.

PKSlice

Comment

Working...
          X