Starter Solenoid 99 Xl 1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Solenoid 99 Xl 1200

I Have Replaced The Starter Solenoid 3 Times In 2 Days On My 99 Xl 1200. It Lasts For About 10-15 Starts And Goes Bad Again. The Last One I Put In Lasted Only 8 Starts And Quit. I Noticed This Time When I Had The Elect Box Apart The Solenoid Was Getting Hot Just Sitting There. Then Does Nothing. I Can Jump It And It Starts Fine. This Thing Is Eating Up Solenoids Like Crazy. I Put The Wires Back Exactly Like They Came Off From The Origional One And I Dont Show A Shorted Circuit. The Starter Checks Ok Spins The Motor Fine And Draws 66 Amps When Cranking. Thats Normal. What Else Could It Be?

Re: Starter Solenoid 99 Xl 1200

Disconnect on the solenoid the large RED cable going to the starter. With this wire off hit the start switch. If the solenoid gets hot there's a short from the wires that trigger the solenoid close. If solenoid stays cool, bet it does, than its the wires that turn the darn thing over. My bet is on the ground wire, but you mentioned it hot just from sitting there. Usually corroded wires will have a high resistance and fry something, but they must be activated. So with this said check the triggering system (lanyard on down) Don't forget the electrical box, it gets grounded from the stator if that wire is corroded all kinds of weird stuff can happen. So check all your black wires on that box.
    To talked about 66 amps how are you testing it?

Comment

Working...
    X