'92 waverunner III 650WRA taking on water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '92 waverunner III 650WRA taking on water

When this ski sits in the water (and also, when under power), it gets water in the bilge. (5+ gal./24 hours sitting, 5+ gal/2-3 hours when underway). The water is not due to a crack in the hull. What seals are the likely problem areas? This ski was not used for five years. Don't know if this problem existed when last used.

Re: '92 waverunner III 650WRA taking on water

Well,pretty much look at the rear and the pump area.

Look at the drain plugs,make sure the rubber gaskets are not dry-rotted and cracked,and all the through hull fittings up in the pump exit area,including the through hull fittings for the steering cable.Look at the bottom where the pump mounts.You may not be able to see where the water is entering in any of these cases,but if it is not the hull itself,then one of these is going to be the culprit.

Maybe try completly drying the interior of the hull,and then setting it in the water,and look for the water entry.If you find a wet spot,keep drying it until you can see where the water is entering.

Good luck....and fill us in....
    Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Thanks for the response. The water is definately not coming in through the drain plugs. I have dried the ski, put it in the water and watched. Some water is coming in from somewhere at the back half of the ski, but, I can't find out where exactly. In addition, I may be getting water in from the front somehow.

Comment

Maybe try this....Put the ski on a trailer,tip it back,let it drain completly,then put some water in the hull.And see if you can see where it is exiting.Look closely up besides the pump,where the hoses and cables come out.You may want to pull the ride plate for this,you'll be able to see better.

Another thing it could be is a break in one of the hoses(inside of the hull).If you have a syphon type bilge drain,check it out also.Make sure water is not flowing back through the hose.Actually,the bilge pump should be draining the water out while driving.I believe there should be a checkvalve that only allows water to flow in one direction.Make sure it is in place.

As far as the front goes,there is not much on the front of the ski that will allow water entry if it is sitting idle in calm water.If you feel water is entering while riding,check the hood seal and fuel filler cap seal.
        Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

See Thread: 1991 650 Waverunner VXR- Taking on water

Comment

Working...
          X