No announcement yet.

Finally...My triple piped GP1200 lives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally...My triple piped GP1200 lives!

After several months of completely rebuilding this ski from the pump to the flame arrestors, I have it running. It was almost to awesome to hear it crank on the first kick of the starter . I have spent many hours on this thing and I think I can remove and install the triple pipes in my sleep. I had to take the center main pipe out 3 different times (without removing other pipes ) and had to remove the mag pipe once to retrieve my 1/4" ratchet .

It is going to be really hard not to keep cranking this thing before I get it in the water to break it in. I WILL have to hear it one more time though before I get it in the water.

Thanks to you guys that have answered my questions!
    Here are some pics of it taken a week or so ago!

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21917

Re: Finally...My triple piped GP1200 lives!

Originally posted by YamaHP
    I think I can remove and install the triple pipes in my sleep.
    LOL anyone with Triples will say the same thing :) Congrads with the boat, hope she runs good for you, post some numbers when you get her opened up!
    Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
    2002-1100STX DI
    2004-15F
    2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Congrats.I bet that dude sounds sweet, get a digital sound picture or small vid and post it....I would like to cliick on that and hear it................

Comment

Congratulations,join the club.
        Last year I did my 97 this year converting over to my 99.
        GP1200 Triple pipers are a sweet sounding ride oh yea....
        SCOtt...

Comment

Chad what impeller do you have.
          Peak power for these pipes is arround 7400 rpm.
          How are you set up speed handling or what.
          SCOTT...

Comment

Well, I come from a dragracing background and that is what me and some of the local boys plan on doing.Straight line performance is all I am after. I don't expect much over 70mph but I expect to hit that number quickly!

As far as the prop goes, I have a Skat Trak 148mm D pump with a 16/26 prop. According to Group K this prop has violent acceleration and should put the engine around ~7530 peek. They reccomened the tamer 17/26, but you know hardheaded we can be

I also have the R&D ride plate (GroupK modded) and R&D intake grate with the "ramp" cut out of it. I also added Riva trim tabs. I am using the stock sponsons.

If I can find a way to get a sound clip I will!!

Comment

Sounds awesome I cant wait to get mine dialed in.

Down on speed right now but that will change.

I assume you will run race gas (smells great).

What ignition are you using.

I love these Yamaha's and am looking for RXP beating performance.

Time to turn some wrenches so I can get out when the weather turns.

Good luck you will love your ride I promise you.

Comment

Yeah, race gas smells great:D I am mixing 110 leaded race gas with 93 octane pump gas (50/50). I am also running Maxima Super M oil, but this will be my first and last bottle(too expensive for my blood). I think I am going to run Yamalube after it is broken in.

As for the ignition, I am running a Riva quick rev CDI on the "mod 1" setting. As far as tuning is concerned I hope it will not be that bad. GroupK did everything including a complete rebuild and setup of the carbs. Harry said he would be suprised if they needed much tweaking. He added that I could turn out the high side 1/2 turn and adjust them in a 1/4 turn at the time and see where my max rpms were and that was where the carbs needed to be. I stayed with the stock carbs to make life easier (I hope) They did remove the choke plates and install a primer. Sure made it easy to crank!:)

Comment

be careful

hang on tight

Comment

Originally posted by David3aces
                    be careful

hang on tight
                    I hope it makes enough power for me to have to hold on tight. I hope my expectations are not set too high. If they are set to high, a direct port nitrous shot will be added to the mix. LOL

Comment

WOW yama, know wonder your takling smack on my thread. Sounds like it's going to be a bad boy. Can't wate till spring to do some straight line DRAG RACIN my self. I suppose you have a group of people that likes to do that. To bad were so far apart, guess we'll never know, till we find out I guess I'm gonna keep talkin that smack. Let me know the results of that bad boy. It must be a great feeling to have done all or most of the work your self. Hope it's a screamer.:) big
                      IF YOU LIKE IT.......IT MUST BE GOOD

Comment

Thanks Bigern, we'll see what it does pretty soon!

Comment

Give us GPS readings on any changes you make as you progress please.
                          SCOTT...

Comment

I will be doing that for sure! I doubt I will be in it all the way this weekend, I just want to check for leaks and break it in. I don't want to go to monkeying with the carbs in this mine shaft air. I will wait until the summer and tune it in the fat air that I will running in all summer.

Comment

guys lets keep this thread alive for us triple pipe gp owners. I'd like to talk setup , jetting, etc.

Am getting ready to put stock 44's on mine and thought i would start with 140 highs and 120 lows.. 2.0 n/s and 95 or 115 springs to keep from loading up.. with the 120 lows i'm thinking the high popoff will be okay.

any other opinions for me? I'm no expert.

thx,
                              Dave
                              97 venture11/1200, 01gp12r stage1, 02F12X
                              dav_dman@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X