Need help on wr500 1988yr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on wr500 1988yr

this ski was given to me the problem that had happen to the ski was overheaded shutdown, so I am taking the engine apart and found that the exhaust ports all block by saltwater damage. This ski was sitting for about 4yrs. I took the heads off and exhaust housing and try turning the engine by hand its a bit hard so I turn the engine over upsidedown turn by hand and about 1 cup of water came out of the top of the cycs. Now I put some oil in the engine to see if that would help the crank turn, it help out alittle but still hard by hand do I have to break down all the way to the crank to see if its the bearing? If so is it worth it because the gasket kit and ring and if bearing are bad it whould in cost more to do it that way or find a used (running) engine on ebay for about 150.00 plus s/h. what do you guy thing? thanks

Re: Need help on wr500 1988yr

If there was water in the case and the engine sat for 4 years then the bearings are probably rusted. Even if the water was only in the engine a couple weeks the engine is going to need to be torn completely down. Even if you get the crank to turn easily you will still be looking at a very short engine life and wasting any money you put into the top end. Buy an engine off e-bay if you like to gamble or buy one from SBT if you want the best warranty in the buisness.
    Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic.

Comment

I agree with DaveG. You may be able to fix the engine yourself or find a deal on eBay, but you could also end up wasting a lot of time and money.

Good luck.
      "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

Comment

Check to make sure bearings in drive system are not rusty before buying engine!Is the impeller housing still round?
        Next newer model WR III 650 has a much better engine and ride than the 500. It too is 5 or 6 generations old. 500 is very old and can be costly!
        just my experience good luck:)

Comment

I wouldn't drop a dime in that 500 - it is a terrible hull and very very underpowered. ...but it can do some wicked 360 spins.

Steve

Comment

A WR500 in perfect running condition is worth $500.00 or less.
            It was one of the worst runabouts ever built for comfort, ride and performance.

They make great flower pots though. Don't spend any money fixing that WR500.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Back in it's day it was The only reliable watercraft. It would run for years when a Sea Doo would last a month!

Comment

LOL! Yeah, but I would have had more fun on my SP in a month than I would riding a WR500 for 5 years.........

My 1989 Sea Doo SP ran great for a very long time. Never really had any problems with it at all.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Lots of fun to ride, but
                  Seal Carrier without grease fitting would fail
                  Motor mounts would break right away
                  Exhaust pipe round caps would corrode out
                  steering bushings would swell up
                  aluminum motor mount shims would corrode
                  Steel engine cradle would bend
                  zipper on handlebar pad would corrode
                  Wear ring would spit out chunks
                  Flywheel key would shear
                  Starter bendix would fail.....................
                  Dealer I worked for had to buy back first 6 doos and put them on Yamahas
                  Doos had a fine hull though and would run circles around the 500!

Comment

That may be true but it doesn't give reason to encourage Wendy to put any time and cash into that ski.

Steve

Comment

this is true

I am sorry
                      I sometimes still vent steam over those early boats.
                      I was a dealership mech and no one else would work on them.

Comment

Hey guys it only a hobby I like to just find them and fix them, my question is would a waverrunnerIII 650 engine fit into this ski also? or if I find another engine what would fit?

Comment

A 650 or 701 should bolt right in as long as you have all of the correct electronics.

Comment

...I like to just find them and fix them...

that's cool, but you have a Title "I have the need for speed" - you're are not going to find speed in that 500 :)

I read many years ago, on some Ski board, of someone dropping a 701 into that hull. That would be a wild ride for sure. I don't think that hull was designed to go over 35. ...and even at 35 it was a bumpy ride. The sound of "Wap, Wap, Wap" and open revs from the motor comes to memory.

Comment

We happen to have a 1988 500 and even if we don't out run everything on the lake it is definitely fun to ride and nice to have an extra scooter around when we have guests. I would just put it out in the storage area until I could come up with a good motor worth fixing "cheap". That one sounds like it is toasted.

Comment

Working...
                              X