1997 GP 1200 Solenoid Hang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 GP 1200 Solenoid Hang

Funny Story for your reading pleasure! I have a bead on a good set of triple mikunis and should get them tomorrow. I just couldn't wait to turn the new motor over though! So this evening I hooked up the battery, did the code reset to get it in start mode and bumped the start button, Nothing! Tapped on the electronics a little and on the third try, giddy up, she cranked! Grin from ear to ear. Couldn't let it sit though and bumped the starter again, listening a little more careful this time for any potential problems. The third bump was definately a mistake. The **** starter solenoid decided to hang. Nothing up on the handlebars seemed to help with stopping the thing from cranking, so I rapidly disconnected the battery cable with sparks a flying. A little rattled, I disconnected the starter and decided to do a little solenoid troubleshooting without turning the motor over. Initially when I hooked the battery back up, as suspected a solid 12 volts was evident at the starter lead. After pushing the start button one time the voltage went away and I have not been able to get it to repeat the hang again. Of course, with the starter disconnected. If I hook the starter back up I'm curious if the additional load across the start relay will cause it to hang again. I'm going to pick up a battery quick disconnect in the mean time but am questioning the starter relays future in my waverunner. I haven't had a chance to research changing it or the price. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the long story. Figured someone might get a good laugh.

Re: 1997 GP 1200 Solenoid Hang

Solenoids can stick. There are two brass contacts inside that a metal plates strikes closing the curcuit when activated. Sometimes corrosion from electrical sparking will build up on the contacts and when heated from the current flowing through it will actually weld together temporarily or permanant. Replace the solenoid and you should be good to go. Just be sure that the culprit is not the start button.
    WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Re: 1997 GP 1200 Solenoid Hang

Yamaha has used that same solonoid since the WR500. I have had to replace quite a few of them over the years. Twice the engine now with that same little solonoid. Keeps me busy, I can't complain.

Comment

Working...
      X