Unseizing pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unseizing pistons

I have a 1996 Wave Venture 1100 that has a seized engine (rusted). I wanted to pull the engine, inspect it and have it ready to ship before I ordered the replacement.

In looking at the lay of the land I though it might be easier to pull the engine out in pieces ie the heads, cylinder and finally the crankcase. What kind of oil should I use to let the pistons soak in? If it was real stubborn I was going to use a large wooden dowel and a mallet to try and coax it from the cylinder. Any of you have any other techniques?

Thanks

Dan

Re: Unseizing pistons

If it';s rusted that badly I don't suggest you do any of that. If you end up breaking something, it's out of your pocket. If it's rusted that badly, what do you expect to find anyway?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Mainly to take it out of the hull easier since the cylinders are heavy and contribute to some of the bulk of the engine.

Some of my mechanic friends and everyone has their own recipe, suggest Marvel Mystery oil or PB Blaster Penetrating Catalyst. Some even suggest vinegar or brake fluid to break up the rust and surface tension. But thats for cars and motorcycles.

Dan

Comment

Even if you do get it to free up,you will still have to re-assemble it when you return it for core..

If you knew,then you'd know!

Comment

you miight as well treat it like practice to get it out of there because the new one your going to drop in as one piece. There not that heavy. My 951 was only 73 lbs.
          98 Seadoo XP L, 04 Seadoo RXP, 96 Seadoo HX HTTP://community.webshots.com/album/109056464fXgNkM

Comment

We don't need any engines assembled.
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
              We don't need any engines assembled.
              maybe not. but they fit in the boxes better assembled..
              98 Seadoo XP L, 04 Seadoo RXP, 96 Seadoo HX HTTP://community.webshots.com/album/109056464fXgNkM

Comment

Save yourself the time and take it out in one piece, remove the exhaust and intake, PTO and flywheel and magneto, then put it in the box.
                But if you are hell bent on removing the clyinder, soak it over night with any penetrating oil, then using a wood block to drive the pistons downward, have a buddy pulling up on the clyinder as you hit the wood block with a heavy hammer. Usually, a hit or three will loosen the pistons grip on the clyinder and then the clyinder will come off, unless it has welded itself to the cases with corrosion.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

You can take it out complete in one piece. Take off the hood, for bolts 12mm. Disconnect throttle, choke, stearring, electrical and two fuel lines going to carbs , breather line and main fuel hose at tank. Disconect oil fill hose from top of service point. Once ready lift hood off and set to side.
                  You will need to syphon all gas from tank, see if any water is present.
                  At front of tank remove two 12mm screws and set fuel securing straps to side. Remove tanks by lifting fuel and oil tank out.
                  At engine remove shaft safety shroud, two 10mm bolts.
                  Remove electrical box from aft bluckhead, two 12mm bolts.
                  Remove clamp that holds exhuast hose to exhuast stinger, push hose down off extinger.
                  Remove four 12mm main mount bolts, shims under each leg.
                  Remove both Batery cables at battery and push wires forward to engine compartment.
                  Slide engine forward careful as it will come off eng mounts. Once it's forward you will be able to reach main coolant hose and disconect. OK from here is only a matter of getting it out thru the hole were the hood was. I use a hoist but you can use a pulley and rope system.
                  Good note is to inspect the empty fuel tank. If there is water present it is easy to remove by truning it up side down or flushing it out with some alcohol. Make sure all alcohol or water is out and tank is dry before use.
                  Once you have pulled the engine out as one complete unit. Seperate the exhust as a unit and only remove the bolts that hold it to the cylinder twelve 12mm long on side, four 14mm and two 12mm on the top. Note the two 12mm bolts that secure the pipe to cylinder and are on the top and are hard to see but look carefuly down between the pipe and cylinder with a bright light and you will see them.
                  It's very simple to change out an engine in this fashion even an old man can do it and not have a back ache.

Comment

on the venture you have to remove the front cover of the ski.. slide out the gas tank.. and slide the engine out the front...as far as i know.
                    97 venture11/1200, 01gp12r stage1, 02F12X
                    dav_dman@yahoo.com

Comment

Thank you all for the great info, especially torquenut for the detailed overview. You should publish a manual. This weekend I will get down and dirty.:)

Comment

Working...
                      X