97 Venture 1100 purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Venture 1100 purchase

I recently bought a 97 Venture 1100 that had been sitting up for 2 years. As soon as I got it I did a compression test. The results were 110, 111 and 112 psi on a borrowed tester (probably a cheapy). Assuming that this is accurate are these good readings? If it is not accurate it sure is consistant. BTW it has 210 hours on it. Secondly I drained the gasoline, changed the plugs and to my amazement it fired right up and seemed to run flawlessly on the flusher (I have yet to put it in the water). Should I have done anything else? The previous owner stated that he purchased new (not rebuilt) carbs from the dealer to the tune of 900 dollars just before letting it sit for the past 2 years. Could I possibly get away with not having to rebuild carbs? One more question; assuming that it still has the original oil injection pump in it should I worry about it's integrity at this point? I will put it in the water this weekend so I will keep you posted as to how it runs. Thanks:)

Re: 97 Venture 1100 purchase

That compression is fine.

I would not be concerned with the oil pump.

If the carbs sat with fuel for 2 years, I would rebuild them without question. Just because it starts doesn't mean a thing - they can still run you lean the first time you go WOT ont he water and blow the engine. I would get a new fuel pump from a Yami dealer, rebuild the carbs and three new Needle & Seats - they like to get grooved from sitting that long. No point in going in there and not changing them, just to have to do it again later when they start leaking.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Agree with the above.

I bought my Raider 1100 in November after the prev owner let it sit more than 6 months. Test-rode fine and compression test checked out. Took it out again the following weekend after topping off the fuel. Again it ran fine for over an hour. Weekend after that I went to take it out and decided to crank it up before leaving for the ramp...sure enough it would fire and fuel was leaving the fuel pump but it wouldn't run. Open a carb plate and sure enough they all had resin deposits. Rebuilt the carbs and replaced the crusty-looking fuel pump and it's back in action to the tune of 57.4mph on GPS. Your Venture will be a great all-purpose ski, congrats!
      96 Raider 1100 - ProTec ride plate & Extended nozzle, R&D Intake grate
      TS-built 97 GP1200 'sky high' edition

Comment

Thanks for your prompt response. Obviously I need to get the pump from my dealer but is there another source for needles, seats and rebuild kits?

Comment

Duh maybe I should have checked your site. I found the forum only on a search engine not your other site

Comment

We sell rebuild kits for that ski at $35 ea. - pickup the N&S from your dealer with your pump. They are $20 ea. pretty much anywhere you go.
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

SBT has the best prices I've been able to find on complete Mikuni rebuild kits.
              96 Raider 1100 - ProTec ride plate & Extended nozzle, R&D Intake grate
              TS-built 97 GP1200 'sky high' edition

Comment

Working...
              X