Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 GP800

Please Help.

I have a 98 GP800 that was run low on oil last fall and had the top end rebuilt by the local Yamaha dealer. It was not run until this spring at which point we found out that the mechanic hooked up a water line wrong and the engine was filled with water. It was not run for more than a few minutes before this occured. When it was brought back to the dealer they found that the pistons and walls were scored and are going to hone the cylinders and replace the pistones and rings, but I was looking at the crank and can see that one of the counter balances is a light brown in color while the rest of the crank is grey. Has this crank been heated to much? Or is this normal?

Thanks
    WRunner

I would say that after what has happened, the crank definitely needs to be replaced or rebuilt also. Lack of lubrication plays havoc with an engine, especially the crank bearings. The color difference could very well be from the overheat and burnt oil.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

The back ground on this machine is that the previous owner had it moored and it sunk(Fresh water lake) in a bad storm and was left for a week full of water. The dealership took it on trade and completely rebuilt the motor. When I purchased it, it had just been rebuilt but had never been broken in. Which I was not aware of. So when I got the machine I pounded it not knowing the engine was new. It also had a gauge cluster problem that never got fixed. Sometime around mid summer last year it was run low on oil due in part to the gauge being wrong and due in part to stupidity, at this point it developed a lower end rattle. I brought it to the dealer they changed the bearings, cylinders, pistons and rings all at their cost. After this rebuild was when I put it in the water and it filled the engine with water, this is the point we are at now with the cylinders being honed and new piston and rings being installed. When I called the dealer to tell them that the crank should not be brown in spots the mechanic told me it was only brown near the area that it had to be heated to push the pins in and was normal. With the history of this engine, do you think it will be OK or should I get it running and trade it. I don't think the dealer is going to do much more as they have already bent over backwords for me. I need advise.

Thanks
      WRunner

Comment

Trade it, no doubt.

Comment

That's what I was afraid of. I hate to get rid of it because I really do like it.
          OH WELL time to look for a new boat.

Thanks for the help.
          WRunner

Comment

Working...
          X