wont charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wont charge

I have a 1999 gp 1200 that sucks the life out of my battery ,any ideas on why ,or whats up with the charging system?

Re: wont charge

Do you mean the battery is being drained while running, or sitting in sotarage? If sitting - this is normal. The built in security computer will drain a battery in a few weeks, unmaintained.

If you mean while running, most likely the CDI unit is bad, or the battery itself is damaged. Try another battery (either known good or new, charged) before looking to the CDI.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Yes while is running , is there parts to the cdi that can be changed out or is that the complete unit , sometimes it will go for a couple days before it kills the batt. and others its one day of riding , I also had some wireing troubles before where the shop didnt connect correctly ,any chance something is wronge there also?

Comment

It's possible that a wire is disconnected, yes. The recifier function of the CDI is what is suspect, and no, you cannot repair any part of it, it's one sealed unit, not modular like the older generations.

If this started after some work, I would suspect one of two things. It's installed incorrectly, or something was fried during the repair. Open the electrical box, sort through everything and make sure it's all connected well.

Used stock CDI's are usually very reliable and cheap, either though classifieds or a salvage yard. Many people sold them or don't need them, that have upgraded to aftermarket racing units. If your connections are good, and another battery doesn't cure it, I would look to those routes next.

A word of caution when switching the battery; draining a wet cell battery below 50% charge can damage the cells. I would make sure it's fully charged, ride it for a shorter period that it normally takes to drain it, then check it's status. If it needs charging, you have your answer. There's no sense in possibly damaging another good battery needlessly.

Hopefully all you have is a damaged battery that refuses to trickle charge - which is fairly common if it's been drained more than a couple times or overcharged. Consider a sealed AGM battery as a permanent replacement in the future. They last quite a bit longer and a much more durible than wet cells.

Comment

Thanks for the help , Ive been useing a Gel batt. and I just went to riva and they do have a rectifier for this model it was fairly inexpensive , and dont need to change whole cdi unit out :emoticont going to check all wires today also!

Comment

Wow that's suprising - I was unaware of it as a separate module for that ski. I have to look at the fiche now :)

Comment

And son of a bitch, there it is! You learn something new every day :)

Comment

Working...
              X