xl 1200 starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xl 1200 starting problem

I have research the forum and still feel I want to ask about my issue, recent install of new sbt engine in my xl1200(98), had some cooling line issues that got worked out. ran ski on hose for 10 minutes ran well, will idling on the hose it evenually stalled for no reason!, got it restarted with some difficulty(choke, work throttle, etc) and let it idle a while longer-no problems, turned o ff water, hit kill switch on ski, put it away till weekend. When I went tostart this week end , no go, seems to be getting fuel but doesn;t seem to get spark. Ideas? also how can I tell if fuel got water in it form sitting at shop?
    Thanks for help

Re: xl 1200 starting problem

The first thing to do is make sure your battery is fully charged. If it gets low, the ignition will shut off. If that looks good, pull one of your plugs out, put it back into the wire boot and touch it to the edge of the head while you crank it over, looking for spark. If you don't see it, you obviously have some kind of ignition issue. It might be in the electrical box, it might be in the flywheel housing.

What happened to the original motor and what work has been done to the ski?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

orignal motor blew heads gasket sucked water, the work done was new sbt engine. How can I diagnose these ignition issues? Some in the foum also suggested checking kill swith-is this a common problem on this ski?
      Thanks

Comment

No, the lanyard switch is not a common problem, nor does it have anything to do with your problem. If that was bad, your starter motor would not be activating.

Comment

Try checking spark again...with 3 new plugs grounded to head and old plugs in holes to prevent fire...if no spark, unplug black connector from handlebar switch and check spark again.

Comment

check spark again, disconected blck/white wire from kill switch, still no spark. Since no spark from all three plugs I assume it is cdi or rectifier. How do I pinpoint before I just start buying parts. Battery is fully charged. and I have checked all fuses.

Thanks for help

Comment

You should get a manual and check the resistance on the coils and stator. If you can't pinpoint anything you may have to start eliminating things by replacement.
              Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

I had the same problem you descibed with my 98. I ended up changing the Stator assembly and the Pulsar coils to correct it.

Comment

I checked resistance on stator and pulse coils, pulse coils checked ok, stator was out of spec-higher resistance than max speck. Already replaced CDI. Is the stator an easy item to replace? Looks like it comes off with flywheel cover.

Thanks for help

Comment

a stator is never easy, in fact very few things on these skis are easy:emoticonc

Comment

better than changing a crank
                      Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

the waverunner is a 98 xl1200. it looks like the stator comes off with the flywheel cover. It doesn;t look to be difficult except for clearance to remove bolts on cover. Am I missing something? Is there timing of the Stator I need to be concerned about?

Thanks

Comment

That is correct, it's very easy. No there is no timing.

Comment

sorry, I was thinking of a twin cly model..........

Comment

I was able to change the stators in mine in about an hour or so. I would keep the old CDI unit as they are pretty pricey and that probably wasn't the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X