Oil sludge from exhaust gp800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil sludge from exhaust gp800

I have a 1998 GP800 that would not start. In the process of investigating possible solutions I noticed that the carburetor silencer cover had come unbolted and was basically just dangling off the carbs. Once rebolted she cranked up instantly. While running it dry on the trailer for about 15 seconds, a sludge of oil was ejected out the exhaust. There was about a pint of real sludgy gummy oil that dripped from the exhaust. I dry ran it for 30 second intervals as to not overheat the engine until the sludge ceased. Took it up to the lake and it ran fine.

Question....I'm freaked about all this oil coming out the exhaust. What is up with this? I have not experienced any excessive oil consumption prior to this or after this sludge event.

Re: Oil sludge from exhaust gp800

what type of oil do you use?......Everytime engine is run without riding the ski, unburned oil and gas builds up in the engine and exhaust....when the ski gets up to temp (riding) the excess gets burned and goes out the exhaust....a leaking needle and seat inside carbs will cause an awful mess also....rebuild carbs if problem won't clear up.........

Comment

Re: Oil sludge from exhaust gp800

Thank you for the insight. Your reasoning makes perfect sense. The ski has 79 original hours on it, and I have owned it the last three. As far as I know the carbs have never been rebuilt. I will rebuild them as a precaution. I had been using Penzoil synthetic and I just switched over this season to Yamalube synthetic. Oil tank was drained before switch.

Comment

Working...
      X