New engine is very tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New engine is very tight

The 500 engine I received is very tight/hard to crank. I noticed this prior to swapping over the engine parts, but figured it's just because it's new. After installing the flywheel, new starter, and shaft, I tried cranking the engine by jumping the starter. The starter can barely turn the engine, even with help by turning the shaft by hand. It appears that the engine crank was pressed together too tightly. My old engine cranks by hand very easy. What do you recommend?

First, yes, they are tight before being run.

Second, they are all spun at starter speeds to check compression here at the factory before they are shipped. They are also spun by hand to check the squish. If it was not able to spin, it would never have left testing.

Third, if you are able to spin it by hand with the plugs out, it is not too tight. You may have just not felt what a brand-new engine feels like, compared to an old one.

Forth, I would be suspecting your starter, if you are directly jumping it, and it's not turning. Note - if you are just clamping on jumper-cable-like leads to the starter, without scraping paint away for a good contact, you will NOT get a good power connection, and have a very weak result as you are describing.

Fifth, it's impossible to press the crank together too much - the only thing a crank would have to do with a binding engine would be a failed bearing.

I would first make sure you can turn the engine by hand with the plugs out (from what you said, I bet you already did before you installed it), then make sure your pump is not seizing, then make sure you are getting a good connection at the starter, then try replacing the starter.

Let me know what you find...

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn - SBT Webmaster ]

Comment

Bryan,

I have an idea. If there is a way to get a torque wrench on the end of the crank? Then he could see at what point (foot lbs.) the crank starts to turn with the plugs out. Post back here with the foot lbs. and have SBT check a couple of theirs and if there is a big difference in foot lbs. then there just might be somethng wrong with his starter .(needs to be checked first). If the starter checks out good then it could be something a little to tight internally.

Just an idea. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Ghost ]
      Ghost

Comment

The engine spins by hand, without the plugs, but it's very tight and not easily done. I thought that it may be the starter, so I purchased a new one(which is not cheap) and still the engine won't spin due to tightness. The engine is not in the ski, the only parts on the engine is the flywheel and cover, so there is no pump involved. What kind of starter motor is used in testing? Are you sure a bad one might not have slipped by testing?

Comment

Forgot to say.

If this can be done the motor needs to be torn back down to the way it comes from SBT to have an accurate test.

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Ghost ]
          Ghost

Comment

I checked the torque needed to turn the engine, it's 5 ft. lbs.

Comment

OK, measuring one of ours, it's definitely lower than 5 ft. lbs. - it's maybe 1-2 - my question is - how are you turning it by hand at 5? I can't even HOLD one and get it to go to 5? What kind of wrench are you measuring with?

If you can grab the crank and spin it by hand - it's not in any way too tight for the starter to turn it...

Oh, I forgot to add - we use a large electric motor on a test bench, spinning at starter RPMs - it does have more torque than a PWC starter, but they are all also spun over by hand to check the squish.

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn - SBT Webmaster ]

Comment

Bryan,

I'm using a Craftsman torque wrench, it's probably closer to 4.5 lbs., attached to the flywheel nut. I can turn the engine by hand by grabbing the flywheel. I tried turning the crank without the flywheel and I can't, that's the bare engine as shipped. I'm to the point where I think I need to return it for your personal inspection unless you have an idea?

Bret

Comment

As I said when we spoke on the phone earlier, I thought you meant just grabbing the crankshaft by hand, not the flywheel - I agree, that it is too tight and we need to swap it out for you. Joe will be calling you shortly to take care of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X