What skis have power valve problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What skis have power valve problems?

Does any one know how to tell what Yamaha Waverunners have the power valve problem? I talked with a dealer and they said they didn't know of any problems (maybe they should search the web there's a fair amount of stuff on the subject.)
    Our ski is a 2001 Yamaha XL800 aka:XA800Z .... Before taking it out on a 100 mile run, I'd like to have an idea if the engine might fail. if so I'd rather fix the thing in the garage before it breaks.

Re: What skis have power valve problems?

All of them, Yamaha 'solved' the problem by eliminating them this year.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Yamaha is on the Third generation power valve now,Have installed many of these as an update to avoid premature failure on older units that have not failed yet. The older valves WILL fail it is just a matter of time.Latest units seem to be doing okay as of yet. Many differences between first generation and now,but only time will tell.Latest P/N 66E-1131S-10,Type of oil used seems to be an issue,but older valves are junk regardless ,R&D & Riva have Billet valves w/ encapsulated pin. But pin failure semms to be the issue and once it fails the valve "bounces" in the trough until it contacts piston,at which time it is usually catastrophic failure,"game over" cylinder ,piston,and sometimes crankshaft! If you have'nt ,change em' NOW! Regards,Rick.

ALL 03' and Prior XL800,XLT800,XL1200ltd,&XLT1200,GP800R,GP1200R
      Last edited by YZrider; 06-13-2005, 08:34 PM.
      YoSA "Best Yamaha Dealer in the Lone Star State"

Comment

hey how do I verify if it takes out the piston? This is where I am looking at cost? I want to make sure I don't go overboard and get a new crank when it is not needed.

Comment

Working...
        X