Fuel-Carb questions for '93 VXR650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fuel-Carb questions for '93 VXR650

What kind of filter did you replace it with automotive filters can be to restrictive and prevent fuel flow.

Comment

I checked the petcock valve with air pressure and it checked on on both "On" and "Reserve". I did, however, replace the filter with one from the auto parts store. I will go by the Yamaha dealer on the way home and pick up the correct filter.

Comment

I have used many auto filters on single carb yamahas (WR3s) for years with no problems. On twin and tripples that's a different story. The paper element inside the auto filters does breakdown and become restrictive, but they are so cheap that i just replace them every season. Could your carb problem be that you have the lines ( inlet/outlet) on backwards. Inlet goes on bottom.......

Comment

Automotive filters use a completely different paper filter, period. They are designed for high pressurized electric fuel pump fuel systems, not low pressure vaccum systems. Using the wrong filter is asking for a seizure.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by David3aces
            Could your carb problem be that you have the lines ( inlet/outlet) on backwards. Inlet goes on bottom.......
            We have a winner!!!!!... I took the carb off and looked at it close and noticed that the lines were reversed. I also noticed a whistling sound when i blew into the inlet. Removed the cover and discovered a missing rubber gasket... I still had the old one and put it on, primed the carb and viola... running almost like a top! Now I have to remember to take a set of screwdrivers to the lake and adjust the carb. It idles fast and you have to run it about half choke.

Comment

Auto filters use a paper element inside as opposed to the oem filter that uses a nylon element. the paper does breakdown after a while....For the last 12 years, I have used the Auto filter with no problems on dozens of single carb Yamahas...unless it gets a few seasons too old it's ok

Comment

Those paper filters do a GREAT JOB! especially MAKING SURE THAT THE WATER THAT PASSES RIGHT THROUGH THEM IS NICE AND CLEAN!!!!!

The OEM type Yamaha filter is actually a water separating filter..the automotine filters are not..nor are they designed to be!!!
                John Kubiak
                Powersports Technical Training Professional
                Las Vegas, Nevada
                Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Water sinks to the bottom of the filter due to gravity. Both types are the same dimensions. Why would one stop water any better. I do find water being caught in the Auto filters......One can buy a $20 filter from Yamaha or a $2 auto filter....Yamaha mechanic since 1978

Comment

PWC since 1988 Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, Ducati, Sea-Doo, Actic Cat, Harley-Davidson tech since 1976. Plus I have worked for some of the same folks that you have.
                    John Kubiak
                    Powersports Technical Training Professional
                    Las Vegas, Nevada
                    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

A regular in-line filter will NOT seperate water like "bowl" type filter in Yami's and Sea Doo's. That's why some bowl filters have drains in the bottom of them. I was born in 83' and i know that:emoticont I don't think you have out smarted Yamaha...

Comment

Working...
                      X