Unexplainable dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexplainable dying

Just finished my '96 WaveVenture top end rebuild today. Took it out for a simultaneous carb adjustment and breakin run. Finished low then high setting and was finishing up 50% throttle for half hour. Went about 40mph and then motor just sputtered to a stop. It didn't die like as if I hit off or the pull out key came off, it just slowly lost rpms and stopped with no results from opening the throttle. I started right back up no problem and sounded fine. Went back at it to about 40-45mph, then cruised slower. Maybe 5 minutes later, at a slower speed it did the same thing. Started right up, sounded fine. It ran for maybe 1.5 hours before those incidents without a hiccup and continued to run for another hour after with no problem. It seemed to run really good with those two exceptions. Looked at the plugs and they were just browning. Was running 50/1 premix in addition to oil injection. Could it be electrical or maybe fuel related? I don't have a clue. Thanks.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to tune your carbs safely, while going through break-in. First, you have extra oil, and on your ski, you don't even have a variable rate pump - I suspect you could have set your carbs way too lean, given the extra oil, to get a reading that would look normal during a break-in period. Second, assuming you are following break-in procedures, how could you possibly have held it WOT for a minute to get a top-end reading?

I guarantee you it's not going to be electrical. I would pull your head and inspect your pistons for damage at this point, and do a compression check to make sure you don't have one dropping already.

Comment

Bryan.. From what many others have said on rec.sport.jetski, you do not need to do a wot run for a minute to do a plug check. WOT for as little as 30 seconds will tell you what is up with your high speed circuit.

Is this incorrect information?

Comment

On brand new plugs, 30 seconds can give a good reading, yes. On plugs that have been used for part of a break-in period - no way!

Not that you should be doing WOT at all, let alone 1 minute or even 30 seconds during a break-in!

Comment

Well I'm sure this situation presents itself often. I have a rebuilt engine and the carbs have been turned to 1 out for safety. Am I supposed to break it in with an untuned carb(fouled plugs), or should I tune the carbs on an unbroken in engine? By the way, the plugs were set at .30 fresh out of the box. Do you think that may have something to do with it?

Comment

Hardly any engines call for a gap of .30 - what do you have? Yes, too large a gap will foul plugs faster. No, you should not fine tune during break-in, they should just be rich enough to be safe.

Comment

Bryan how do you tell just how rich is safe when running the extra oil? Due to the advice you have given me I'm turning the screws way out and tuning the carb on the third tank. On my '96 Venture 1100, how fast should I go for the low speed in mph and do I have to go WOT for the high speed tune or is <50% okay? I am going to a really small lake and you run out of room.

Comment

If it burbles, 4-strokes, is sluggish accelerating - then your nice and safe - go a little lean for easier running and you're all set. If you've got awesome power, snappy throttle response, and it feels faster than it ever has - it's a good sign you're on the lean side! : [img]graemlins/uts.gif[/img]

For tuning - it's not RPM or speed - it's throttle position. Under 25% for the low, and WOT, or at least above 90% for the high.

Comment

Thanks Bryan. I just found this out. The guys i order my plugs from sent me the wrong plugs. Instead of giving me a set of br8hs, they sent me a set of b8es. Totally wrong, they actually were almost 3/4'" longer than the originals. Could the non-resistor plug, with it being longer, cause an electrical problem leading to the above stated engine dying problem?

Comment

Non-resistor plugs WILL do that, yes.

Funny enough, I went through the same think on one of my skis a few months ago - I found the problem easily enough, but the guy at the auto store obviously grabbed two of the wrong plugs, and I didn't even notice (I buy them a box at a time usually).

Comment

Working...
                    X