couple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple questions

I have a couple of more questions about my raider 1100. First is on my intake I plan on checking out my reeds when I go to rebuild my carbs, when i go to put it back together would I use a permatex on the gasket between the intake and block or not. second question I got is on my starter. I was using the craft the other day and I stopped the engine and it would not start, not even crank just a little humming coming from the electrical box (very quiet humming had to have the hatch open to here it.). I took the electrical cover off and moved the cdi unit to the side and tried to jump the solenoid, nothing happend no clicks no crank not even a spark when I touched it, did I do it correctly? Would that then be the starter, all cables and conecters looked good and tight. please let me now what you think. Thank you Hoss.

Some High-Tach on the gasket won't hurt, that's for sure.

You have a bad electrical connection, probably at a ground, or a bad starter. Check the ground cable at the battery and at the starter - take it off, sand the ends, sand the contact points and try again. Just the starter directly to see if it will turn over. The humming you heard was your solenoid. Never try to crank it more than a couple seconds like that or you'll burn out the solenoid too (been there done that).

Comment

bryan is right about the starter. You may want to put a new solenoid on ther just for kicks they are only about 20 $
      Rob

Comment

Check the battery first, especially if aged. Inspect the cables for tight and corrosion. Probably battery low enough that it has just enough capacity to pull solenoid and then w/ hard draw to turn starter it kill the solenoid and repeats itself. Toyota's do same thing with a LOW battery, just click constant like a machine gun action. Try jumping with a car battery, MAKE SURE CAR IS OFF!! The charging system in the car will typically run 15+ amp at idle and will COOK a small battery real fast.
        If using a factory Yamaha intake gasket, DO NOT apply any chemical, as the gasket has a "foam" type of coating, nothing called for in the factory manual.

[ August 05, 2001: Message edited by: CaptToyota ]</p>
        ***1100 Venture***<br />OE head mod-- by Riva Yamaha<br />Wiseco (+ .5mm)<br />True-welded crank<br />Riva F/A+ Jet kit<br />Boyeson Power reeds<br />Riva 1100 CDI<br />NGK plugs- BR8HS<br />R&D Aqua-Vein<br />Solas 14-21 Super Camber//Impros<br />Riva rideplate<br />Amsoil "AIO" @ 50:1 pre-mix, currently KLOTZ Ski-Craft<br />MOBIL-1 grease in the pump<br />Sears Diehard<br /><br /> Dream-meter shows 65---- GPS says 54.2 mph best, 9/14/02 @ 850 ft elevation

Comment

Working...
        X