95 Raider 1100 engine problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Raider 1100 engine problem

Guys I have a question that maybe someone can help me on. The guy that purchased my 95 Raider 1100 let his friend use it and something happened.
    He told me that a hose popped off and water pumped into the engine compartment and the ski died and wouldn't start. I assumed that the engine cooling/exhaust (pisser) hose came off but after looking at it yesterday it was the pulse hose that had come off. He told me that water was coming out of that and it almost filled the compartment. This made no sense to me -- isn't the pulse line just pressure to the fuel pump from the crankcase?
    After trying to get it running yesterday, it seemed to be running on only the rear cylinder. There was spark on all the plugs. I was thinking that maybe the reeds got wet and have stuck close on the front two cylinders? There is back pressure blowing through the front 2 carbs but they don't seem to be getting fuel, hense my thought about the reeds being stuck. If water filled through the case pulse fitting could the lower have water in it? Also I think the ski was turned over the wrong way to empty the water from the hull.
    Also after originally hearing this I told him to pull the plugs and get any water out of the cylinders, also put a little oil in them just to be safe. Maybe they put in way to much. Not sure.

Thanks,
    Andy

If the engine was hydrolocked, on water, fuel or oil, it's veryy possible to break reeds, which then would not give you adaquate pressure to drive the fuel pump. You need to check the reeds for damage.

Comment

If I recall, the pulse nipple is on cylinder #3, and the crank chambers are seperated by "labrynth seals, thus if it did indeed suck water, #3 should be the messed up cylinder. Take a compression test, possibly remove cylinder head and inspect pistons/walls. I bought my 1100 w/a melted piston in #1 and the misc trash busted/cracked the reeds. The reeds should ideally lay flat on the rubber cage frame, or w/in
      .008 max from closed, so pressure change in the crankcase would finish close the reed.
      ***1100 Venture***<br />OE head mod-- by Riva Yamaha<br />Wiseco (+ .5mm)<br />True-welded crank<br />Riva F/A+ Jet kit<br />Boyeson Power reeds<br />Riva 1100 CDI<br />NGK plugs- BR8HS<br />R&D Aqua-Vein<br />Solas 14-21 Super Camber//Impros<br />Riva rideplate<br />Amsoil "AIO" @ 50:1 pre-mix, currently KLOTZ Ski-Craft<br />MOBIL-1 grease in the pump<br />Sears Diehard<br /><br /> Dream-meter shows 65---- GPS says 54.2 mph best, 9/14/02 @ 850 ft elevation

Comment

If you're getting blow-back, it's a good sign of broken reeds.

Comment

Just to close this post. It was the reeds. Two of them were broken. We replaced them and its running great again.
          Thanks for the help,
          Andy

Comment

Working...
          X