Yamaha's Power Valves...Junk???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha's Power Valves...Junk???

My new SBT engine blew up last week and has been diagnosed as Power Valve failure. Basically, cylinder #1 power valve's "stopper" broke and began hitting the piston quickly destroying the top side and severly gouging the sides of the cylinder causing the loss of compression. The engine only had 15hrs on it and I've heard this story before on yamaha's GPR series engines. Don't get me wrong.. I love yamaha and will always stay loyal with them but I was just curious if this is a common problem and should I expect this to happen again, or more importantly, what can I do to prevent this from deystroying a third engine on my 02' GP800R? Thanks, -Justin

"By the way, SBT's great warranty is covering my blown motor" Super fast and friendly service... Thanks SBT for keeping me on the water!!!
    :emoticons

Re: Yamaha's Power Valves...Junk???

I actually saw that one - and it's first SBT valve I've seen do that - it actually split vertically in two - I'm chaulking it up to a material defect - not common whatsoever. The OEM valves however, are only reliable if you have the latest version.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

This does happen quite a bit with the Yamaha powervalve motors. it happened to me on my '01 GPR800R and I have seen many posts from people who have had the same problem with their 800s and 1200s. Luckily I didn't have the extensive damage that you have.

I replaced the factory OM junk powervalves (with help and hand holding from the great people on this forum) with the SBT valves and everything is running awesome now!

Good luck on your repair!

moped
      www.powervalvefix.com

Comment

Were the PVs Yamaha parts or SBT parts???? Are SBT PVs included in the remanfactured engine prices??? I think the 800 yamaha motor is priced higher than the 1200...whats up with that???? one less cylinder..

Comment

The 800 is NOT more than the 1200pv.

We use latest gen OEM valves when they come in on a core, otherwise we install new SBT valves. Yes they are included in the engine price, as are lever links.

Comment

Sorry, :D my mistake,,,,,its more than the 1200 non PV motor,,,,,,,:emoticonb

Comment

I have a new 05 XLT 1200, is there anything I need to do to this machine involving the power valves. I keep reading different things about these valves but get conflicting information.

Comment

The '05's have the latest type valve Yamaha has in service,these have proven reliable so far ,however I would install the "Waveater" type lift levers for added protection against pin loss.Yours has a catalytic converter so use 2W type oil or remove the "cat" and install "D" or "O" plate and sensor chip. The "D" plate seems to perform better than the WPS "O" plate,although the cooling slots in the "O" plate are larger.The YPVS system is a good system with the right mods. Have built some "race" boats w/ the 05' GP cylinders but they are for top end performance mostly.I have a 02' xlt1200 w/ 800 cyls and other mods as well and it really "RIPS"!Good luck,!!
                YoSA "Best Yamaha Dealer in the Lone Star State"

Comment

I thought they did away with the valves on the 05??????

Comment

That's a pretty good trick considering the 2005 GP's don't have powervalves anymore :)

Comment

Thanks for the reply YZ rider, I will look into the wave eater clips since that has been a common theme that I have read. I do use the 2W oil as stated in the manual. Where can I get this "D" plate?, and what does the sensor chip do?

SBT, you are correct that the 05 GP doesn't have the power valves, but if you read closer, I have an XLT 1200 which still has them. SEE: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/waverunn.../features.aspx .

Comment

Originally posted by diamondbackaz
                        Thanks for the reply YZ rider, I will look into the wave eater clips since that has been a common theme that I have read. I do use the 2W oil as stated in the manual. Where can I get this "D" plate?, and what does the sensor chip do?

SBT, you are correct that the 05 GP doesn't have the power valves, but if you read closer, I have an XLT 1200 which still has them. SEE: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/waverunn.../features.aspx .
                        http://www.atlanticjetsports.com

They have the D-Plate and the sensor chip and many other goodies u might be interested in.

Comment

It is no "TRICK" and is easy to install '05GP non PV cyls on the engine, you do not use any of the linkage ,servo or CDI from the older unit ,porting is also different and works well.But as this MUST be a "TRICK" it is surely not possible for this to have been accomplished,and certainly the use of 800 cylinders on a 1200 would be an utterly ridiculous endeavor regardless of the better porting on the 800's cylinders.Power valves are NOT for more horsepower ,but for better driveability of the engine,at lower rpm's ,but what do I know,I am only a trickster.:emoticonw
                          Last edited by YZrider; 08-13-2005, 09:33 PM.
                          YoSA "Best Yamaha Dealer in the Lone Star State"

Comment

OK - your post only mentioned the GP, it read like that's what you were talking about with the valves :)

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support View Post
                              I actually saw that one - and it's first SBT valve I've seen do that - it actually split vertically in two - I'm chaulking it up to a material defect - not common whatsoever. The OEM valves however, are only reliable if you have the latest version.
                              Is there an easy way to determine if I have the latest version power valves? I bought my 99 gp800 used, and the last owner bought it with a fresh rebuild from a dealer (not a Yamaha dealer) in late 2006. I have tried phoning the dealer that rebuilt it, but they are very difficult to get answers from, and wanted to charge me to look up the work order to see what parts were put in the rebuild. So, my question is - are power valves normally replaced during a rebuild? If so, are all power valves now sold by Yamaha the latest version?

My plan was to install the Wave Eater clips, but I need to remove the exhaust to put them on. My mechanic says to order the gasket for the exhaust since it will most likely need to be replaced when he removes the manifold. The gaskets are on backorder though, and won't arrive until July 22. I'm afraid to use the machine with the fear of power valve failure. My machine only lasted 75 hours before rebuild on the previous engine. I don't know if it was due to power valve failure, but from what I read the engine is very good other than the power valves, so I assume it did fail because of the power valves.

Sorry for reviving this old thread!

Comment

Working...
                              X