Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sittin' by the side of the road...worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sittin' by the side of the road...worth?

Taz Send me an email on what you are parting out I may ned some stuff from you I just finished finding some parts for a 94 XP but was offered one that is complete but faded that I am going to rebuild. Let me know.

Comment

What a tough weekend. Aftery sparring on eBay for a cylinder and piston, somone stepped in a bought it away from me. Sheesh...doesn't anyone have a good used cylinder and piston that I can bolt on and try to see if I can save this boat? Help me, someone...

Comment

Why not while spending this money on the top end just go ahead and send your crank for a once over to somewhere like crankworks? A couple hundred bucks more and you can almost guarantee the motor will last...

20-30 hours for 2-3 years? Yeesh, send that thing my way so it gets some real hours on it ;) I do 20-30 hours in a few weekends during the summer.

Comment

Good suggestion, although I wasn't planning on taking the motor out or going any deeper until I tried a replacement cyliner and piston. Doesn't look promising as no one seems to have one...

Comment

OK, here we go again. After a week of waiting, a box was on the front porch when I got home from work. :emoticonc
            Thanks to (deleted), a resleeved cylinder and piston kit was safely tucked inside the box. And an SBT piston kit at that! No Siezco pistons for this project.

Taking my time, I carefully reassembled the cylinder onto the motor and buttoned everything up. Without ever taking the exhaust off, I got the new cylinder on and torqued in about 2 hours. Everything went together just like a Yamaha should (if only Sea-Doo's were this easy to work on. I swear, I can work all day on a Yamaha and come out with only greasy fingernails, but my silly Sea-Doos have so many sharp edges and rough spots, it's like...oh well, back to the story).

I regapped the plugs, which were at .022. I don't think they're the -11s, and I haven't been able to find any locally so I'll have to order some. I also fed the tank about 5 gallons of 40:1 premix, although there was already 1/4 tank of clean gas in it already.

Installing the battery and pushing the green button, it fired right up. No knocking (yet) and it sounded pretty good. Hoping....

Here are my questions: How can I make sure the oil pump is working? I have the shop manual but it might as well be in Japanese, it's so sparse and hard to fathom. I just want to make sure it's pumping (I'll convert to premix later if the motor holds together). How important is the 2W oil? I fed it premix of TC-3W but will buy the 2W tomorrow? Did I screw up? I assume the tank has 2W but will purge it to make sure. What else should I be cautious of or watch for? Here's where I need you GP1200R drivers to guide me (so far, so good!). Thanks..

Unless I need to go back in for something I missed, I'm off to the lake Wednesday...
            Last edited by kscycler; 07-26-2005, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I don't know if this will work for you, but I have a Brand New In-The-Box Gauge cluster for a 99 GP1200R The part number for the 1999 is GP8-6280A-04-00. The microfiche has a different p/n for the 2000 model, but that could be just for bezel colors, or something like that....
              John Kubiak
              Powersports Technical Training Professional
              Las Vegas, Nevada
              Sea-Doo Tech 13736
              PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
              PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
              NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
              Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Checkinf the oil pump on an R might be a reall challenge. On earlier gp1200's, the cardb are mounted vertical and it is a simple matter to remove the air cleaners, start the
                motor, crank the oil pump all the way up, and see oil dribble into the
                carbs.

Since the air cleaner sits horizontal under the exhaust pipe there isn't
                much you can see or do. Maybe if you took the air cleaner off and stuck a
                mirror down there you might be able to see it working ... but that's a
                lot of work to do that.

It looks like there is a small check valve on each of the 3 oil lines
                coming out of the oil pump. If that is true and they are accessible, you
                could disconnect the hoses at the check valve and see each tube spit oil.
                Start the engine on the hose then fully open the oil pump, and the oil
                should ooze out (faster with more RPM). Messy but could work ... have
                some bilge cleaner ready. I would suggest disconnecting the check valves
                from the inlet point so that whatever oil is already on it's way up to the
                carbs doesn't leak out and leave a lot of air in the lines.

As for your oil question, the answer depends on your catalytic converter.
                If the cat is still in and it's good, then you should only run 2W; the
                semi-synthetic is meant to smoke less and leave less deposits on the cat,
                using TCW3 will clog it faster. If you have the D-plate or some other
                setup where the cat is removed, TCW3 should be fine.
                James
                1997 gp1200
                2000 gp1200r

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and pointers. Yep, the cat con is gone, so I'm not too worried about the oil, then. Seems to be a big debate on TC-3W and 2W, but for now I'll stay the course.

The oiler may be tricky, so I'll try to see if I can see it drizzling oil. Perhaps the aft cylinder got hinky and lost its' oil feed, that could account for losing the piston/cylinder in the first place. Anyone else got any ideas on how to check the oil injection?

Comment

I decided to take a look at the oil delivery system. I read the service manual and followed the directions to open the oil bleed screw. Imagine that, no oil came out. Perhaps that's what caused the cylinder to fail? However, after opening the oil tank filler cap, oil started to flow out of the bleed screw hole. Here's my question: Shouldn't the oil flow anyway? Isn't there a vent that allows ambient air to enter the tank to equalize the pressure? I'd appreciate any thoughts...

Comment

Originally posted by kscycler
                      Here's my question: Shouldn't the oil flow anyway? Isn't there a vent that allows ambient air to enter the tank to equalize the pressure? I'd appreciate any thoughts...
                      I know there is for the gas. I would think there would be for oil too, but i'm not sure.

Comment

Trying to test the oil delivery system, I first attacked the vent hose. Pulled the hose out of the tank and blew. Naturally, the vent valve worked in that direction and it stopped the flow of air out of the tank. Next I sucked, and there was a lot of resistance, followed by good flow. I can't really tell if there was an obstruction, but after hooking everything up, I got consistent oil out of the bleed screw hole without having to open up the oil tank filler cap. Could be...

So I decided to fire the beast up.

I drained the gas tank as best I could and replaced the fuel with 40:1 premix. Then I hooked a wire over the oil pump cable and pulled it tight, essentially opening the oil pump to full flow. Then I put some oil in the top of the cylinders, in case either 1) the oil pump WASN'T working, or 2) there was still some non-premix gas in the lines. Then I hooked up the garden hose and fired it up.
                        Well, it ran just fine. Smoked like I thought it would, although I'm not entirely convinced that the oil pump is working (ordered blockoff plate). Plugs look like they're oily, so it's either the premix kicking in or there is oil being delivered. Here's my question: What's the recommended premix during breakin of the new cylinder/piston? And what premix after breakin?

And then I'm heading to the lake...

Comment

If your using the pump during breakin mix the tank 50:1.

If your running straight pre-mix (no pump) 20:1 during break-in and 32:1
                          after break-in.

Comment

Hope things work out for ya! With all that debris in teh bottom, i dont thing i would trusted anything. As someone pointed out u damage that block and your done. But hey have a good time, still a good buy at 1500$. I would easily give you that if you still wanted to move it outt your garage =-)

B

Comment

Thanks for the note. I'm gonna shut down the office and go to the lake. Maybe I'll be swimming back to the dock in an hour, but I'm gonna see if the engine wants to run. Wish me luck...

Comment

Originally posted by 99gp1200
                                If your using the pump during breakin mix the tank 50:1.

If your running straight pre-mix (no pump) 20:1 during break-in and 32:1
                                after break-in.
                                I think you mean 32:1 during break in running straight pre-mix and 50:1 for regular useage running straight premix as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X