engine shut down while riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine shut down while riding

I was riding the other day and I noticed I didn't have water coming out the side hole on my 98 gp 1200. I shut it down and got it back to the dock. The engine was very hot so I hooked a hose up to the flush kit and water started to come out the side and the engine cooled down. I rode for about an hour and it ran fine untill it just shut down while running at full throttle.When I went to start it again the engine was locked up and would not turn over. After getting towed back to the dock and getting it out of the water I pull the spark plugs and got the engine to turn over again. The two out side pluge are dry with a tan to brown color, the middle plug was grayish white. This is an SBT engine that is just a few months old. Any idea what may have happend and how can I check it to find what kind of damage may have happend? thanks Joe

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Rembrandtplein ]</p>

There's not much you can do if you still want your warranty - we can certainly diagnose it if you send it in for warranty service. I suspect you may have overheated it, and maybe caused an airleak, causing it to run lean and detonate, seizing it up. What color is the temp dot on the head?

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]</p>

Comment

The temp dot went black. I've had it running but just long enough to flush it. Will it cause more damage if I run it some more?

Comment

You've already overheated it and done severe damage. I suspect you either don't have a cooling hose connected correctly, or have one severely blocked.

Comment

ok. What do I need to do? send in the engine for warranty service, will it still be covered by the warranty?

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Rembrandtplein ]</p>

Comment

It will if we find an internal obstruction or something - but if everything looks fine internally, then it can only be an external obstruction and will not be covered. We can work with you on the repair cost though. Anything further at this point is speculation, unless you find a plugged hose or something.

Comment

It ran fine all summer long so if it was an internal obstruction this would have happend long before this. wouldn't you think?

Comment

Yes, I'd agree. I'd say with 99% certainty that you sucked up some debris and choked off some cooling passages.

Comment

I can not afford another engine, so I need to look at two things. If I went to fix the engine myself I'm looking at replacing the pistons and maybe the crank? or What would be a good asking price for 98 gp 1200 w/trailor,cover,vest, and needs engine work? Thanks for your help

Comment

If you can't afford another one of our engines, then you really can't afford to fix it yourself either, unfortunately. Around a couple grand as-is, I would expect.

Comment

Working...
                    X