need info on yamaha XLT1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need info on yamaha XLT1200

I am looking at buying either a 2001 yamaha XLT 1200 or a 2002 XLT 1200. Both have about 50 hrs or so on them...My question is, how are the engines for these watercrafts. I have heard that this is not a good engine and there have been some problems with them,and they are very expensive to work on. Is there anything that I should look out for before I purchase one of these. Any info would be very helpfull. THanks....

Re: need info on yamaha XLT1200

It's the same engine as the gp1200R.

At 50hrs you will probably be looking at a failed catalytic converter very soon; this repair is easy, replace the cat with D plate and sensor chip, total price around $60.

Carbs are likely to need a rebuild soon. That can be a pain but doable by anyone.

Other than that, this engine seems to have power valve problems ... I have 150hrs on my gp1200r and haven't expereinced this, but pv failure is a possibility and expensive.

I don't fixing the 1200pv engine is any more expensive than any other engine of the same time. Some parts are surprisingly expensive, but you can usually find replacements at salvage yards.

Look for engine mods. Yamahas are pretty bullet proof, but an engine modified wrong is suspect. Look for hull cracks, excessive corrosion, etc. Try to ride it before you buy if possible.
    James
    1997 gp1200
    2000 gp1200r

Comment

Working...
    X