Yamaha WR500F power loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha WR500F power loss

Just recently purchased a 89 Yamaha Waverunner and noticed that it doesn't have as much power as it should. I've replaced all the fuel filters, cleaned out the gas tank and replaced the spark plugs (B7HS). Also did a compression test and came out with approx. 145ib per cylinder. Mixed a 50:1 fuel/oil ratio and took it back out to the lake. It's still exactly the same. Takes forever to plan off and even then has a hard time of reaching 24+mph. When I got back to the house and checked the spark plugs they were dark brown in color. At this point I was thinking about rebuilding the carb and checking the impeller. According to SBT this year made two different carbs. The Mikuni BN and SBN. How can I tell which one I have. Any other opinions and/or tech support would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Yamaha WR500F power loss

At this point is rebuilding the carb and checking the impeller the next best step?

Comment

check for exhaust leaks

Comment

Is there any easy way to check the exhaust for leaks?:emoticonb

Comment

sure..open hood and look for exhaust leaks as it's running....The engine has to breathe fresh air...if it's breathing exhaust, it will run like having the choke on....

Comment

Makes sense. Thank you for your assistance.

Comment

Working...
            X