GP800 Exhaust bolts breaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP800 Exhaust bolts breaking

This is a lengthy saga, so please bear with me...

I have an '00 GP800 that keeps shearing exhaust manifold bolts. This started happening 2 years ago -- both bolts broke in the block, and two studs backed out on top. Also damaged one of the the engine lifting eye brackets. Had it all repaired, ran most of last season, and sheared another bolt at the end of the summer. Also started running bad and ultimately couldn't get it started. Winterized the ski, and had it in the shop this May for repairs. No compression in one cylinder and low on the other -- engine was toast. A rebuilt engine and $2,200 later, we're back on the water. Now, less than 2 months later, I've got another sheared bolt and several backed out; exhaust manifold rattling around like crazy. And, another chipped bracket that needs replacing. Back in the shop...

Had the repair facility verify that my impeller bearings were ok and engine mounts good last time they had it apart. They are stumped as to why this ski keeps breaking bolts. We are conscientious riders who take good care of this craft -- it is kept on a lift when not used, and is definitely not abused.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks -- wisgp800, new member

Re: GP800 Exhaust bolts breaking

Since no one has replied to your question, I am going to chime in here....

Sounds like whoever worked on your motor has not aligned the exhaust with the motor properly and too much stress from the motor vibrating is shearing the bolts. One piece is moving more than the other (motor/exhaust)
    Torqueing down the bolts way too tight and heat expansion causing too much stress on the bolts. Your blown motor is most likely from the motor running with the loose exhaust.
    Make sure they are not forcing the manifold to line up with the motor. Check your rubber exhaust mounts.

There are people way more knowledgeable on this forum than me, maybe they will throw in some suggestions.

Comment

Sounds like something is not aligned right to me also. try posting your question on the Riva board

Comment

Another thing to look for. Check to make sure your motor mount bolts are all tight.

Comment

are you using the locating pins?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback... I'll be talking to the shop tomorrow. Will definitely discuss alignment and exhaust/engine mounts.

Not sure what the 'locating pins' are.

Looked at the Riva site -- this appears to be mostly a forum for mods; my ski is all stock.

BTW... it's a '98 GP800, not an '00 (don't know if this makes any difference -- any problems with earlier GP's?)

Comment

Locating pins are small dowel pins in the gasket surface that help give strength to the exhaust system

Comment

"Looked at the Riva site -- this appears to be mostly a forum for mods; my ski is all stock."

True, but there are a lot of knowlegable Yamaha posters over there :emoticonn

Comment

Working...
                X