waveventure 1100 glowplugging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waveventure 1100 glowplugging

I recently installed an engine purchased from SBT. It starts easy, but will not stop. I tried the kill switch, pulling out the lanyard, pulling out the choke and nothing would shut it down until I pulled off the fuel line and it ran out of fuel. From what I have heard this is called dieseling or glowplugging. It is very discouraging and I am starting to feel that this may be going over my head. I am afraid to start it because it revs up on its own and is difficult to stop. Does anyone have any suggestions? Before putting the engine in, I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, purchased a pop off gauge and got each carb to approximately 40 psi. Hi and low screws were set to factory specs. Some of the reed were messed up so I replaced them with carbon fiber ones. Ski is mostly stock except for K&N flame arrestor and impeller.

Re: waveventure 1100 glowplugging

So in other words, you went with aftermarket air filters, and didn't rejet the carbs or adjust them properly...hmmm...

You are running lean, obviously because of that. Either go back to the stock airbox or get the right jetting and ajustments for the carbs.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The ski came with the K&N filters and impeller when I purchased it in 2000. I never had the stock airbox. The previous owner never gave it to me and I would not know how to find him or if he still has it. The only way for me to go stock would be to purchase another. I wrote down the number of turns on the screws on a piece of paper when I took them off, but can't find it. How to I go about getting the right adjustments??? I got the reeds from Protec when I purchased the engine. Protec said they do not carry just the petals in OEM so you have to either purchase the whole assembly or go aftermarket. Is there some way to trouble shoot this to know where my problem is coming from?

Comment

Well, you will have to go rich and tune by hand back - it's going to be a pain since you lost your previous settings. I would turn your lows out 1 turn to start, and highs 2 turns and go from there. Read the tech articles on carb tuning and reading the plugs.

Comment

I have all the tech articles on this printed out. I will review them at work tomorrow and try the adjustments you gave when I get home. However, I tried turning out the low speed screws 1/4 more turn from stock previously and it still would not stop running.

Comment

Then it just wasn't enough - go a full turn and work back.

Comment

Found pad where I wrote down old settings. Unscrewed hi and low extra 1/2 turn from what they were before with old engine. Started engine and it will still not stop until it runs out of fuel.This is very discouraging. I am afraid to ruin engine. What should I do?

Comment

are you absolutely positively without a doubt sure your gaskets under the carbs and / or between the intake manifold are good and not letting air leak no matter what you set the carbs at???
                *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
                Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't talking about you

Comment

its running lean, i just had this happen to my gp1200...but for me it was a crank seal that had blown out so it was sucking air in thru there. I highly doubt the flame arrestors changed the air flow enough to create the dieseling effect you are describing but I suppose it is possible. I do have to wonder why you got a new motor, if the old one seized from a lean condition, then something obviously isn't right with the carbs. You say you rebuilt them so hopefully they're setup right.

I'd set them back to completely stock if possible then go rich from there. SBT engines are pressure tested so I doubt its a problem with the engine, but it is a possibility I suppose. Did the engine ever run right or did it do this the first time it was started??

Comment

I am not sure what caused the old engine to blow. The piston in the front was broken in pieces. The way I found out the engine was blown was because the ski would not go over 20 mph. It made a slight knoking noise. When I removed the spark plugs the one in front was crushed. I put in a new spark plug and it crushed it also. The old engine never did this glowplugging thing. However I did rebuild the carbs for the new engine. Maybe I screwed something up? This whole thing has gotten very frustrating. The rebuilt engine I got from SBT looks like it had a hole through the bottom that was repaired. I was hesitant at first to remove the carbs because they are very hard to get to. However, this seems to be the only alternative I have. I will get a new gasket and remove them. Is there anything else that should be done while the carbs are off?

Comment

could there be something wrong with the switch that shuts it off? I don't know how it works but I would think it grounds the wire to shut off the spark and maybe that wire lost its ground? But I guess you should be able to control the RPM with the throttle and it sounds like yours is going full speed even with the throttle at idle.

Comment

it wouldnt rev up (unless the idle is set wrong) and not turn off if it were just the switch. both of those however are symptoms of some kind of an air leak causing the lean condition and dieseling effect.

Comment

Originally posted by dowkk
                          are you absolutely positively without a doubt sure your gaskets under the carbs and / or between the intake manifold are good and not letting air leak no matter what you set the carbs at???

Thanks a lot dowkk. Tonight I removed the carbs, tightened the screws on the intake and put the carbs back on with another gasket and high tack sealant. It now stops immediately when you hit the kill switch!! Can't wait to put it in the water this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                          X