No announcement yet.

GP1200R Problems in very rough water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you mean a blocked intake grate, no that isn't the problem. We have checked for that, too. We seldom have that problem on inland waters. Thanks for the thought, though.
    dc

Comment

Not sure if it helps or not...

One thing that I found with the PV controller in rough water was the connector itself.

In rough conditions, water was coming in near the seat, and getting the connector wet. It would then do a clean cycle whenever it wanted to.

I used some die-electric grease and coated the connector. It hasn't returned since.

Another thing to remember, is that when you pull the seat off, a little "splash" of water is contained in the front seat hook. If you are careful, you can direct this water overboard...and not on top of your PV controller connector.
      mark c.

Comment

admision taking?????
        Bill

Comment

Mark, thanks for the idea. I'll check and grease the connection. It would have to be a freak splash, but anything is worth checking.

Bill, by admission taking do you mean water ingestion? Not likely . . this is the driest hull we have ever had among about a dozen skis. Most of the time the hull is completely dry, though in extremely rough water if the nose subs at no wake speeds and the stopper isn't in the bucket there might be a trace amount of water to be found.

dc
          dc

Comment

Well, the intermittant problems have become nearly full time. PV cycles normally when turned on/off, connection is good, cable slack is ok, but the POS doesn't open up when you go WOT. Limits out around 5500-6500 rpm (stock tach sucks) and there is no punch at mid and full throttle as you normally feel when the GPR runs correctly. Top speed about 35-40 mph. Finally can take to dealer to demonstrate problem . . .
            dc

Comment

OK, the Yamaha dealer has had it for 4 weeks, finally agreed it doesn't run right, and lied to me about tearing it down last week . . time for yet another personal visit. This time without another trailer hooked to the truck.
              dc

Comment

Dang Dennis, are you ever going to get that thing fixed? I think I'll give up and make mine a limited or Superstock so it actually runs! In other words, lose the stock servo motor.

I hope you figure it out.

Is that an XP I heard calling your name?

Comment

Where does one get an Advent CDI?

Comment

www.islandracing.net

Comment

if you still have the cat-con installed you may want your dealer to check that. Those are the classic symptoms I was having with my 00 GPR when the cat failed back in the spring of 2000 and no one knew about it because they were so new.

When I would get in rough water the cat-con chunck that had moved down in the pipe would bounce around and clog the exit creating way too much backpressure. Then some real good bouncing around would move the cat-con chunck a bit and the problem might quit for a while.

Let me know if this is your problem after a check assuming you still have the cat-con

Comment

Mike, it was checked at 47 hours and not a problem. It was supposed to be checked last week and still wasn't done today when I called. I can't believe they had the pipe off to tune the carbs and didn't check it , but that is what I was told last week.

What is different about mine is that the problem cleared itself up COMPLETELY and ran 64.0 in Kentucky at The Jam until I hit some more rough water. Smaller chop and it was good to go.

dc
                        dc

Comment

DC

I'd suggest you need to rule out the Cat being the problem, why not get the dealer to put in a D Plate? Yamaha makes them for the non-US boats - they work fine and there really is no downside to using D plate.

Comment

Well, found out what I've been told by a Cedar Creek Lake, TX area dealer was all BS. After 7 calls, 2 visits and 1 month not a lick of work has been done to the GPR. As confirmed by the written service ticket they signed it out on.

I may pull the temp sensor for a quick check to see if it is bent, but it goes to a dealer in DFW who solved other problems last year.
                            dc

Comment

admission taking?

Comment

Ski went back to another dealer in mid August . . after 5 more weeks I had to take a day off work to drive out to DFW and meet with the mechanic who he told me it was just fine. 59.6 on GPS . . no problem.

Next day, 3 hours on the lake, a little 1/2 foot set of waves when the wind finally came up, and back to 35 mph tops.

Took another 1/2 day off work to test the ski myself, did some power valve servo testing and decided to pull the exhaust. Cat con core was lodged in the stinger sideways!

Thanks to Yamaha only for the misery, unprofessional dealers, lost ride time, lost work time, travel expenses, lost warranty time, and especially the lack of extended warranty service . . . .

Real appreciation goes to those out there who help other jetskiers.
                                dc

Comment

Working...
                                X