95 waveraider 1100 problems for a good reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 waveraider 1100 problems for a good reader

Ok here is the story, I purchased a 95 waveraider 1100 for a very cheap price because the dealer stated it was fouling plugs every twenty minutes and they did not have time to repair it.

I went and picked it up and the dealer mechanic started it right up for me. I asked him if he looked into the plug fouling problem at all, he said that he would check the reeds first because he noticed a lot of oil blowing onto the stock flame arrestor.

I took the ski home and pulled off the oil injection unit and went premix, removed the choke assy on the carbs and capped, and installed a primer to where the oil injection used to squirt in on the carbs, I then changed the plugs to br7hs and took it for a run. The ski ran great except for it intermittantly died with no rhyme or reason. I then replaced the fuel filter and it ran great.

At this time I had already ordered boyesen pro series reeds and three carb rebuild kits. I received the kits and took apart the reeds and carbs and found two broken petals and other that didnt sit flat. I replaced them and rebuilt the carbs and set the low and high speed screws back to what they were at which at that point I believe was 1 3/4 out on lows and 1 out on highs. I took the ski out and ran it and started fine but Idled way high and bogged down a lot on the bottom end, I turned out the bottom in 1/4 turn increments untill the bottom end problem was cured (now at about 2/14 out from bottom) and now I was noticing a considerable drop in the middle range especially after a high speed deceleration followed by a quick acceleration. I then turned the high speed screws out in 1/2 turn increments until that problem cleared up. It got a hell of a lot better at about 2 turns out but not actually perfect. It would only do it about once every hour of riding.

The ski ran perfect for about ten hours and then all os a sudden one day when I was out with my brother in law, it started dying again more frequently. the more I rode the more frequently it died and again seemed to be idling fine and top end was great but needed to nurse it a little in the low to middle range to keep it going untill all of a sudden it would just take off.

I tuned and tuned and tuned the carbs and tried almost every adjustment scenario possible and could not get it any better, the problem seemed to get worse. At this point it seemed to not go over 12 mph but would idle decent with the carbs sitting below 1 1/2 turns and there would be no change untill you got to over 2 turns in which the ski would then idle like crap have no middle power would just die on you, but would scream at WOT.

So I remembered when I was putting everything back together on the reed and carb rebuild I had picnched a wire tie inbetween the reed plate gasket and the intake, so I thought to myself maybe I had caused a leak then, I took the carbs and reed block off and you could definitely see where I picnched the wire tie at one point but did not look big enough to leak. So I replaced the gasket anyway.

As I was putting everything back to gether I noticed a piece of what looked like ripped base gasket coming out from below the cylinders and above the crank block. I took the cylinders off and sure enough there was a piece inbetween the first and second cylinder about 2 inches wide that was ripped on both sides. I lifted the cylinders and head off and all of the gasket came with except for those that two inch piece. I ordered that gasket from SBT and it should be here tommorrow. as well as three ocean pro flame arrestors that I got a steal on.

I am just not confident that this base gasket was the culprit for my problems, because I was able to carb out the problem at one time. now I am doubting my rebuild of the carbs and everything else I have done. I am very mechanical so I dont think I could have screwed anything up on the carbs.

what do you guys think do you think this flow of problem progression matched this gasket being blown or could I be facing more.

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: 95 waveraider 1100 problems for a good reader

anything in your engine is not good, a little washer can destroy your whole engine. That was most likely your problem.

By the way, the reason the gasket broke and fell in is probably (Im guessing) that you didnt replace it when you took it off. Whenever your remove a piece that has a gasket on it, you always replace it. (unless it is less then 2 weeks old, and a few other cases)

Comment

The gasket wasnt in the engine, I just meant that 2 inches was not connected to the rest of the gasket when I took it off. It was ripped on either side. I never took apart that section before, that was something new I found.

Comment

Sounds like someone might have opened her up before you???

Comment

Stop using the wrong plugs and I bet your next one will be a lot better. BR8HS
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

a compression test should be made before any carb adjustments

Comment

On PWC today, I have found several threads stating to change to br7hs when going premix, I have abviously done plenty of research before doing this. what makes you attribute a blown base gasket to a hotter plug.

I also would like to mention that in your forum on how to tune by reading plugs, they mention going one plug higher while tuning....this is what I have been doing, tuning.

could you please clarify?

Comment

I have switch to br7hs plugs on my 96 WaveVenture 1100 and things seem to run much better.

Comment

No our tuning guide certainly does NOT say that, and I don't care what someone said on another forum - going to a hotter plug because of going pre-mix, ESPECIALLY on your ski, makes absolutely NO sense. That's like saying 'change your windshield wipers because you got new tires'. Unrelated.

Hotter plugs contribute to preignition - they burn down the pistons. I never said anything about the base gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by flyersfan
                    I have switch to br7hs plugs on my 96 WaveVenture 1100 and things seem to run much better.
                    Then you have other issues like carb tuning, that you are masking.

Comment

OK, so assuming I switch back to br8hs does what I have described seem like the base gasket could be the only problem, or does this lead to something else?

Comment

The base gasket may have been your only contributing problem at the moment - but you need to obviously tear the motor down for inspection. 99% of the time a base gasket leads to damage to the crank barings/rods and top-end at least on one cylinder.

Comment

Working...
                        X