89 Waverunner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Waverunner

I am working on a 89' Waverunner. I know is't old and slow but "we can fix it" right?
    Ok. it will start cold and run fine for @ 5 min. then will shut off and will not start - no spark.
    Let it cool down and she will run fine for a short while.
    Does this sound more like the Generator/stator, Ignition coil, or CDI unit?
    Any help will be nice.

By the way there are two and one runs fine so I can do some parts swapping if easy and doesen't waste too much time at $75.00/hr.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Swap the stators first.

Comment

Thank's I will do it. :D

Comment

Re: 89 Waverunner

do you want to sell any parts off that 89 waverunner,let me know!!!I live in mooresville!

Comment

over the years, I have replaced ignitor units on about half a dozen WR500s. There were 2 different types. Only difference was one or two wires had female ends instead of male ends or vice versa. One was then no longer available. These boats would loose spark all together for good until unit was replaced. I have also seen bad charge coils/ Source coils go bad. I would check stator coil resistance values before removing. Coil mentioned powers ignition system and gets weak over time. Pulsar coil is pickup for timing.

pulsar coil white/red wire to ground 102 ohms
          Source coil brown to ground 90 ohms

as per Yamaha tech guide from early 90s

Comment

also Handle bar switch could be bad

Comment

75% of the Yamahas that come through here with the exact problem you are describing have a bad lanyard kill switch. I had a guy with a 94 blaster replace the stator,coil and cdi only to have it continue to die after a few minutes. We replaced the switch assembly and has been running fine for 3 yrs. Just a suggestion. Start with the easy less expensive items first.
              WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

What parts do you need? This sure is an old post...

Comment

BTW I have aftermarker ride plate and intake grate for them also.

Comment

Working...
                  X