Need help badly!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help badly!!!

Here's the deal. I was riding my bone stock 98 gp1200 today. About ten minutes into the ride she breaks up REALLY bad. This occurred at all rpm ranges. So i brought it back to shore and after a look around the motor i took it back out. It drives fine for about five minutes and then it happens again. I did this a couple of times until it was clear that a pattern developed. It would happen everytime about 5 minutes into the ride. So i pulled down the cdi box compartment to have a look. I figured from wave jumping i might have gotten water in there. So i completly disassemble the electrical box and put it back together piece by piece. No water and no corrsion in there. I also put in new plugs by the way. So i take it back out and again it happens. Only this time did it happen about 15 minutes into the ride. I assume due to the fact that it had time to cool? So now i have the boat home and decide to yank the flywheel cover to look there. The pickups are clean and minor surface rust is on the stator wich i cleaned up. So after all this i still have no idea what the problem is? I have another cdi i could try if i need to and another flywheel. Thansk for the help guys!!! I run 93 octanbe to if this matters.

Sometimes the stators get heat soaked and break-up when they get hot.

You might also have a bad plug boot connection - try taking them off and trimming the wire back 1/4".

Comment

ok i will try that wire trick. What is the fix for the stator and why does this hapen?

Comment

The fix is replacement, and I don't know the specifics of why it happens - the coils may have breaks in them that only effect at temperature.

Comment

ok. I will replace it. How do i know that it's the bad part? Can i test it first?

Comment

Hit search and look for 'test stator'

Comment

Thanks. I really appreciate your help. One ? though. I noticed that in one of the threads the person said that it sputters as if the temp sensor went on. Well when all these problem started the temp sensopr went when my girfriend was riding it and the black boot on the exhaust slid off and the boat overheated. Does the water temp sensor go bad making it feel like a stator problem?

Comment

Working...
              X