gp1200 won't start without priming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gp1200 won't start without priming

Sorry I posted this in the wrong place before.

I rebuilt the top end on my 97 gp1200 using oversized pistons and reaming the cylinders. after a breaking of a few hours, it was running great and all of a sudden started to sputter and then died on the lake. By priming the carbs I am able to get it started by it won't stay. I have pulled the carbs for cleaning and checking. they look good, and the lines are all open. what could be the problem?

Did you remachine the head to accomodate the oversize pistons?

Did you take a compression check?

Comment

Yes to both.

Comment

Check your fuel switch, main filter, tank check valve...what was your compression?

Comment

It seems that the fuel is just not getting into the carbs. Could it be the reeds?
          Or is it possibly a bent crank?

Comment

compression was 125 on all 3

Comment

Reeds would definitely do it, but they would all have to go at once.

Comment

I would check the pulse lines and than see if the tank holds pressure. it may have a bad check valve. make sure the gas cap is tight and the rubber seal isnt missing
                rob

Comment

Thanks this is all very helpful.

In the fuel line, there is what appears to be a restrictor - just a small cylinder with a pin-hole in it. Is this necessary?

Comment

Yes - that regulates fuel back pressure to the carbs.

Comment

could my problem have come from this being plugged up? which direction should it be? It is hollow on one end.

Comment

It's just a main jet - it should just be a peice of brass with a hole. Yes you will have poor running if it's clogged.

Comment

Working...
                        X