How to Ride This Thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Ride This Thing?

As noted in some of my other posts, we got a new VX110, and love it. Almost as good as s#x and drag racing.

But, being the old, conservative type that I am, I don't like to have it continuously bouncing out of the water.

To keep it in the water in the late afternoon chop going down the river to the ocean, Beaufort River to the Atlantic, I have to slow down to 10 to 20 mph, and get passed by all the boats. At 25-30 it will be out of the water half the time, and you can hear the engine unload after each wave. If the surf is big enough, you can just ride over the top and down the other side, but the short chop just beats it.

I have read that constant loading and unloading of the pump is very rough on the engines and such.

Am I doing the best thing by keeping it in the water at a slower speed, or is it ok to just get on it and bounce or fly along? My daughters hate going this slow. I don't like bouncing and getting wet, but they don't mind.

Re: How to Ride This Thing?

well, if you baby anything of course its gonna last longer, but jetski's are MADE to jump waves and have fun! Also, you cant really burn out an engine doing this, as an RPM limiter is built in, therefore, when it comes out of the water, it cant over-rev.

It's not too much more stress on the pump. Rough chop will always have the ski out of the water more. You can buy performance handling parts, example, a ride plate, nozzle, and you can also set your trim lower. But I say listen to the girls, and dont worry about it.

Comment

I have a vx110 also. It does come unhooked in the chop quite a bit. Unfortunately, they do not have a trim adjustment. I just try to find a comfortable place to sit on the seat a little further back, that seems to help on the porpoising. I do not suggest wave jumping this ski. If you have read the manual, It states that wave jumping causes undo stress to the hull of the ski. This ski typically ways about 300 more pounds than other popular, wave-jumping skis. Enjoy your ski however you like to ride.
      "I'm doing the best that I can according to my current awareness!"

Comment

Thanks, I feel better about it coming out of the water a bit now and then.

Our starter ski was the 91 Waverunner LX. We loved it, but it did not have a big enough gas tank to go anywhere, and was very sensitive to chop.

The VX110 has enough gas to go on 15 mile or more trips, and we have been going out to the sandbars at the mouth of the river at the ocean.

On a calm day it is a 35 mph trip, but a couple times, it has been a slow go, nearly at the speed of our 18 ft center console boat.

Comment

RKD-Just came back from your area it is awesome down there. Would love to live there. Rode a rental VX110 and an XL800r too. Have fun on your ski.

KO

Comment

The 110 unlike the 140 needs an aftermarket scoop grate and adifferent ride plate. This will keep the ski hooked up better in rough water. Also learn to let off the throttle when you catchin' air because the rev limiter is not designed to "catch" the motor revs and prevent it from actually over-revving. You'll learn the hard way if you need to start replacing broken connecting rods and/or crankshaft. The 110 is a fun ski, happy boating. :emoticont

Comment

Working...
            X