new motor or rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new motor or rebuild?

Hey I blew the engine on my xl800. Dealer Service says I need to replace the crankshaft when all I did was suck the powervalve. Have to decide should rebuild the top end rebuild the whole engine or get a rebuild from sbt. Help me out here cash is tight.

Re: new motor or rebuild?

No one can guess without detailed pictures of all the parts or a clear first hand description of them, sorry.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

You have to take it apart and see. I've never sucked a powervalve, but I can imagine the damage it can do. Likely more than a crank is bad. Even if the crank looks good, the bearnings could have cylindar, piston, or valve material grinding it up.

But in any case, don't let sit if there is any possibility of condensation in the case. A mild engine "problem" can turn completely bad when rust sets in and everything seizes.
      James
      1997 gp1200
      2000 gp1200r

Comment

:emoticonc motor is disassembled. only on cylinder is bad I just have questions about how can the crank be bad when the valve sucked at idle and died. But I am not an expert yet still looking for more information.

Comment

It may not be - like I said we need more info. It really takes a crank shop to fully check it - it may be out of pahse, out of index, or have bearing/rod damage. The bearings and rods can be inspected by hand, but the rest requires specilized equipment - no one can tell you over the net if it's good or not.

The crank could have been damaged when the valve struck, or by any debris that went to the lower end.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Ok here are the pictures let me know what you think. The piston looks trashed but I feel it might be ok to use the same crank? I will take it to a machine shop and see what they say. I am looking up the specs right now. does anyone know what they are? For the crank and the rods.

Comment

Just a note...Your average automotive machine shop will not have a clue what to look for unless they have some experience with pwc cranks.They may be able to tell you whether it is out of allignment,but may be baffled or have the specs to know if the bearings are within tolerence or damaged.

There are shops that specialize in checking pwc cranks....I dont recall any names,maybe someone will chime in with a contact for you to send it to.
              Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

thanks for the tip. Is there anyone out there who can lead me in the direction of a machine shop in or near Virginia Beach? I would like the help.

Comment

Working...
                X