garage cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garage cart

:emoticonc i am wondering if anyone can suggest a place were i can buy a cart to hold my pwc in my garage?

Re: garage cart

I think dennis kirk sells them, but i also think that most places that sell parts should have 'em too. I just made one with a few 2x4's and some 8" casters. I need the big wheels to roll it around in the gravel. Also works great as a summer storage for my jeeps hardtop.

Comment

I've been thinking the same. I think Overton's has PWC carts for like $150.

I want something like this for winter storage, I'll probably try making a few out of wood and casters from home depot.

In my garage I have a long steel beam and a chain hoist -- I bought the 1000lb PWC hoist strap from Overton's and it is fantastic. I can take PWC on and off trailers by myself in only a few minutes time now.
      James
      1997 gp1200
      2000 gp1200r

Comment

If you check on ebay, there is a guy that periodically offers plans to build a pwc stand/cart out of PVC pipe. It appears very sturdy. If I can find the link I will post it.

Comment

My neighbor built some PWC stands out of those furniture dollies you can buy at Home Depot or Tractor Supply. They already have the casters attached. Angled two 2X6's and screwed 'em down to the dolly. Very easy to make!!! I also have a steel beam in the garage and thought about the chain hoist and sling idea....
          Hey PWC-Abuser.... what is your chain hoist rated for (weight) and could you give me any info about the 1000 lb PWC strap from Overton's???? Also, how did you attach the hoist to the steel beam??? I've seen the Ebay auction for the plans for a PVC cart. Looks like it would work well.

Comment

The beam and hoist came with my house (just moved in a few months ago).

I belive it is a 12" steel beam that spans a 4 car garage free and clear without any polls in the center.

The chain hoist is rated at 2000lb. The previous owner mainly used it for car restoration work, engine lifting, etc. and claimed to have lifted 1500lb or more without any trouble.

Overton's has 2 straps, one is shorter and rated at 700lb, the other a bit longer and rated to 1000lb. I needed the bigger one for my gp1200R. It makes life so much easier to be able to back the trailer up into my garage, hoist it off, and put it onto another trailer using only one person (me!) and not killing my back.
            James
            1997 gp1200
            2000 gp1200r

Comment

Thanks for the info James!! This is exactly what I want to do!! One last question..... I went to Overton's website, is the 1000lb harness the one that hooks to the gunwales of the ski??? If so, do they HOLD securely without slipping off while lifting the ski??? I'm thinking 2 straps that wrap completely under the hull might be safer... yes, no???? I certainly don't want to drop it on the concrete floor!!!!:emoticonc Thanks again!!!

Comment

I thought the same, but I bought it anyway.

The "hooks" look sort of like angle iron, but bent a bit in order to grab under the gunwales. The outside is coated with rubber to help prevent slippage.

I suppose getting a strap under the hull might be safer, but how would you get it under the hull when the boat is resting on the bunks of a trailer? Also, if you went under, it would have to be some sort or harness otherwise the boat may slip free.

The strap I have works great. You just center the hooks under the gunwale where ever your boat's balance point is, and the tension created by the weight seems to keep them on very well. I've mover my gp1200r and my gp1200 with this several times without any trouble.
                James
                1997 gp1200
                2000 gp1200r

Comment

Thanks James, that's what I wanted to hear!!!! I'll be building a similar system soon!!!:emoticont

Comment

You don't need to go to all of that trouble if you have a cart with wheels.

Pull the 'ski of off the trailer onto the cart, wheel it where you want to put it. I is a 1 person job.

To put 'ski back on trailer just use the winch. I weigh 155 lbs soaking wet an move my GP around NO problem. I even transfered an XLT 800 with alittle more effort.
                    J-me
                    05 Bayliner 175
                    98 GP 1200 Yamaha factory support hull, Lamey engine, Skat pump

Comment

I hear you Jami, but personally I'm a bit tired of breaking my back and subjecting myself to safety issues from tires slipping, etc. I have a gp1200 and GPR -- the R is challenging enough just to get into the water, nevermind off of a trailer on land. My friend's XLT1200 is even worse.

I've done them all myself as well, but after getting my garage and the strap it's been almost a pleasure to jocky 'skis around and do trailer maintenance. I wish I had this thing years ago!

I'm looking to build my own carts in a week or two .... winter is coming and I want to store my waverunners inside this year (yea!). I'm finding that wood it pretty cheap, but the casters can be expensive.

Does anyone have a good source of casters? Right not the cheapest place I've found is Home Depot.
                      James
                      1997 gp1200
                      2000 gp1200r

Comment

I got mt 8" casters from sears, but they were about $35 ea. I needed the big pneumatic tures to go over gravel. If you are staying on pavement, you can get away with small hard rubber casters. Just make sure that the total capacity is at least double the weight of your craft.

Check out:

www.mcmaster.com

www.mscdirect.com

I buy most of my parts for work from these 2 places.

Comment

I found that a hydraulic engine hoist works good for lifting Waverunners. I use an engine tilter as a beam and just rigged a couple ropes under the hull.

It was easiest to lift the ski and pull the trailer out. I lowered the ski as low as I could get it before moving.

Comment

I didnt read through all of the post so If I am repeating anyone I am sorry..
                            check out overton.com for a cart..

http://www.overton.com/modperl/overt...isle&catnum=3T
                            Life is short.....
                            Ride you Jet Ski Naked

Comment

Thanks for the link Bwright!! Nice jetski cart!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X