ARGG! broken bolt for intake grate HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARGG! broken bolt for intake grate HELP

I tried to install a new intake today on my old beater 92 VXR, and I noticed one of the original bolts was snapped ( on the front of the grate) and when I tried to remove the other it snapped also.

of course there is not quite enough to get some vice grips on, and its obviously pretty soft stainless bolts, and I guess they have some type of thread locking compound on them.

now IM screwed I cant install either grate now, and Ive got company coming this weekend to ride the skis!

How do I get it out?

how are those threaded inserts held in the hull?

if I drill them out can I find new ones?

any ideas appreciated!

If you file or grind the stub flat and the drill progressively larger holes in the broken bolt sometimes you can save the inserts. Start with a sharp 1/16" bit or smaller. Work up to where you have just a small amount of the original screw left and try an EZ-OUT screw extractor. If that doesn't work then drill it out to the specified pre-tap size and re-tap it. If you have never tapped a hole before take what's left of the bolt to a hardware store and they will set you up with what you need. Good luck. JC

P.S. Use lots of PB BLASTER whenever you are taking skis apart. It's good s&%t and makes disassembly alot easier.

Comment

Working...
    X