2003 FX Cruiser Toast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 FX Cruiser Toast

Went out to Mission Bay for a couple of hours of riding. She ran strong, as usual. Got it home and had some trouble starting it up to do the flush. Didn't think anything of it. Took it out a month later for a weekend ride. Nothing, wouldn't turn over. Took it to the shop and I find out that the whole engine was fried. It took in water and they can't tell me how? The dealer and the Yamaha support keep asking if I rolled it. Once last year. If I towed it, never. The protection plan I bought won't cover the $5600 to get it fixed unless they can point to a problem with the ski itself. Any ideas. Do you think that one roll last summer could be the cause?

Can BST help salvage it for less :emoticonc
    Last edited by Felipe Lopez; 09-07-2005, 01:48 PM.

Re: 2003 FX Cruiser Toast

Blew the head gasket?

Comment

No. They looked good. They can't figure it out.

Comment

Virtually impossible to ingest water thru that airbox. Cracked head? Send it out to check for warp and be pressure tested. When you finished riding that day, did the engine happen to backfire and/or "diesel" when you shut it off? If it does either, water can be sucked in thru the exhaust manifold.

Comment

after flushing, it do you clear the exhaust system of it's water?

Comment

After I switch of the water I let the engine run a bit longer to flush out any residual water. Other than that. No. No back fire. Nothing strange at all. Always ran great. I will try to investigate checking the heads for warp, crack.

Comment

When you say the engine is "toast" what do you mean ? Like ... what is actually wrong with it ...this will go a long way to determining the cause.

Is it just the compression down ..1 cyl ? All 4 ?
              Hole in a piston ?
              Burnt exhaust valve/s ?
              Spun bearings ?
              Water in oil ?
              Bent rods ?
              Thermostat not fully open ? Ever had overheat alarm go off ?

Has the engine been fogged properly if stored for more than a few weeks ? Do you clear the waterbox properly ?

More info ?

Anthony
              Yamaha 05 FXHO Cruiser - 100.5 hrs

Comment

if you did not start it when you got home water could of been sloshed around on your trip back to wherever and got back up in the cylinder through a open exhaust valve it is actually quite common on skis

Comment

Working...
                X