My Xl Is Ailing, Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Xl Is Ailing, Help!

I have a '98 xl 1200 that has a SBT replacement engine. Replaced engine last year and has ran great from day one, but recently has started running weird. Starts as usual, idles good and runs smooth on take off, but when engine revs to 6500, it immediately drops to ~5500 rpm's where it will stay at full throttle. The ski still runs smooth even then, just like it's running at about half throttle. Once you let off the gas and try to take off again though, it stumbles and takes alot of coaxing of the throttle to get going again, but will still idle fine. I can quickly pull choke out and back in and it helps get it going, but doesn't change symptons. Have changed plugs, checked compression (125 on all three), and checked all fuel lines/filter for obstructions. I'm not sure where to go from here?

Re: My Xl Is Ailing, Help!

Get 3 rebuild kits and do the carbs - you have clogs and can very easily damage the engine at this point.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Will this also cause it to drop the rpm's? I'm not sure, exactly which model Mikuni carbs does this have?

Comment

Yes. Mikuni SBN

Comment

I've been looking, is the Super BN the same as the "SBN" that was stated earlier, or is it all-together different. I haven't saw any listed as SBN.

Comment

Yes, SBN is Super BN.

Comment

Working...
            X