1998 Yamaha XL1200 high and low factory carb setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Yamaha XL1200 high and low factory carb setting

I just purchased a 1998 Yamaha XL1200 and was told that the previous owner replaced/rebuilt the carbs. I am afraid that he did not set the high and low adjustments correctly. This machine has virtually no mid range to it, it jumps from about 20 mph to 33 mph almost instantly. Would this have to do with the carb setting. The other issue I am having is that it is difficult to start the first time each day. What do you all suggest I check first for this problem.

Thanks,

Parks
    Last edited by yamaman; 09-10-2005, 11:09 PM. Reason: Finally found carb settings for all on tech page

Re: 1998 Yamaha XL1200 high and low factory carb setting

lows, front mag 1 1/4 middle center 1 1/4 (rear pto 1 1/8 plus or minus 1/4)

highs, front mag 1/2 (middle center 7/8 plus or minus 1/4) rear pto 1/2

Comment

I am currently pulling the carbs on a 98 XL 1200 to go through. Is that the correct factory info with the front two cylinders 1/8 of turn wider than the rear for the lows and the middle cylinder almost a 1/2 turn wider for the highs? seems kinda wierd. But I havn't got them to the table yet to see where they are set before I pull them apart, or started looking for factory setting info yet. if thats is correct thanks for answering the question I hadn'r asked yet :)

And yamaman the hard start can be eliminated with a primer kit, they should be required equipment on ALL skis, they save batteries, starters, check-valves in carbs and nervous breakdowns at the waters edge.

Thanks
      Last edited by seadoobie; 09-12-2005, 11:02 AM.
      Either Get Wet, or stay on the Hill!

Seadoos
      91 XP almost completely restored
      91 GT almost completely retored
      94 XP old Play thang Sold (Not sure if Im glad or Sad,
      have a complete 94 XP parts
      ski for sale now)

Yammies
      97 GP1200 New Play thang
      98 XL1200 New project

Comment

Thanks for the info. Any idea what could cause the lack of a mid range? It surges straight from the low end to the high end with nothing in between on acceleration.

Comment

Working...
        X