crazy hypothetical question on GRP exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazy hypothetical question on GRP exhaust

For those of you who know the gp1200 and gp1200r I have a crazy hypothetical question ....

On the gp1200 non-pv engine, the exhaust comes out the left side, 3 ports get collected into a single tube that double backs up and is routed directly out the left back-side of the engine compartment. The gp has down-draft carbs that are relatively easy to access on the right side.

On the R pv-engine, the 3 exhaust ports on the left collect into a single tube that is routed around the front of the engine, over top of the carbs, traveling down the right side and wrapping around again to exit the rear left side of the engine compartment. Carbs are side-draft and virtually impossible to access and maintain without taking the whole exhaust apart. My guess is that the extra exhaust length was necessary either do to increased heat, addition of cat-con, or perhaps both.

So my crazy question is, has anyone tried to modify the exhaust and carbs on the R to more closely match the engine layout of the gp1200? That is, double-back the exhaust down the left side and install down draft carbs on the right to improve maintenance? I'm not sure it would fit, nor am I sure if hull/engine balance would be affected. But, given that most people have to dump the cat-con anyway, the extra wrap-around exhaust would seem a little excessive and unnecessary.

Of course, this isn't likely to be cheap, but I'm just wondering if anyone had ever heard of or done something like this.
    James
    1997 gp1200
    2000 gp1200r

Re: crazy hypothetical question on GRP exhaust

The pipe is the size and shape it is, because it has to be. The expansion chamber is preceisely shaped, and a critical part of how a two stroke engine works - it's just as critical as the head design. You can not physically fit the pipe needed all on one side of the engine, hense the wrap-around you already have. If you used a smaller pipe, you would have a drastic reduction in power - and guess what - they already have that, in the older 1200. Notice both engines are about the same size, yet one is 20 more HP. That's almost entirely from the pipe.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X