Newbie needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needs help

Well, the 91 Yamaha Waverunner LX 650 just landed in the driveway. Got a couple of questions..

There is a grease fitting on the pump shaft, what kind of grease does it take? Are there any more?

Is Pennzoil outboard motor oil suitable for mixing with the gas?

What is the best manual for this beast, such as a Chiltons, etc, and where is good place to get one?

Can anyone tell me what hp this has and how fast it should go?

Thanks.

The best manual is Yamaha, get one from your local dealer or www.parkeryamaha.com

It takes marine grease, liek you use on the trailer bearings. Pump it a couple times a year.

Penzoil is fine for that ski.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I need all the info I can get. This thing came with no manual, no instructions, just a "I wish I did not have to sell it, and have fun" statement from the previous owner.

After half a day yesterday driving to the DNR to get the title and a couple hours today, installing a new battery, mounting a fire extinguisher, putting numbers on, etc, I finally put it in the water today!

Ran for 30 minutes. Still has to be eased into the last bit of full throttle. I guess I will fix that after I get a book. Otherwise it ran ok.

This is a slightly different critter to me. I remembered the lack of steering without power business, etc, but docking was still an experience, with several others at the ramp.

It also makes a much bigger wake in my creek than I had hoped, and it does require running at idle only to avoid it. I was hoping it would not make as much wake, so that I could run a bit faster.

I was told to start it before turing the flush water on, and turn the flush water off before I stop the engine when flushing. Is this correct?

Do you normally fresh water rinse the inside of the hull after use?

Anyway, thanks for the help so far.

Comment

It's not necessary to rinse the inside after every ride. Yes, ALWAYS start the engine first. NEVE have the hose running and not the engine!

Comment

A while back I picked up a '97 GP1200 with just 52 hours on the computer.

I was fortunate that mine was only run in fresh water before I got it. I run in a mix of fresh and brackish now and am starting to see some surface rust inside the engine compartment.

Get a lot of WD-40. Hose off any thing you can reach and fog with WD-40 after it is dry. Better never to see the rust.

- dan

Comment

If you are in Beaufort, then there is salt everywhere!!!! Rinsing the hull, in and out is a great thing to do. Even better than WD-40 is silicone spray. Spray the crap outta it!!!
            Loved my time in Beaufort years ago. May just come back to ride the backwaters!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X