wr650 issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wr650 issues

I have a 90 wr 650 lx, and i was rideing it and started to bog a little,the problem was the water cover gasket on the head sprung a leak "the upper cover"and was shooting water in the carb throat. so at the ramp my friend decides to tighten the bolts and breaks 2 of them off. so i got a new gasket and put sealent on it, worked great for a day no problems,then it blew that gasket in the area of the broke bolts,,, thought i could get away with 2 broke bolts.so i pulled the head off and gave it to local machine shop to fix the broken bolts. well they offset drilled both of them!!, so now i have no idea what to do next. i had several people tell me that i can put this permatex metal epoxy on the water cover with out a gasket and that will totaly permenantly fix the "leaking" problem.they say there is no reason to have to ever take that cover off. so my bottom line is if i do this and that don't work can i put a different one piece 650 head on it, like off a 650 vxr?? thanks in advance....

Re: wr650 issues

I'm not sure whether a 1-piece head will fit...But I do know that you will need to replace the head you have.Keep an eye on e-bay for one...or check the salvage yards.
    http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?p=85856
    Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Interesting problem, as I have a similar water leak out of one of the aft starboard head bolts on my 91 WR 650 LX. Just got the gaskets, etc, and will do the job in the next week or so, time permitting.

Compression seems good, and I did not think it would do any harm to run it this way, except the hot salt water is damaging the paint on the engine.

I will try being careful with bolt removal.

I had this same problem with an old Evinrude, someone tapped the head bolt holes slightly offcenter. It worked, but had an external leak. I just put another head gasket on it and it fixed it.

You could just enlarge the holes in the cover to fit over the threaded hole, if there is enough material to deal with.

Comment

Atlantic Jet Sports sells a Pro-Tec rec head: http://www.atlanticjetski.com/cylinder2.htm that fits:
        650LX, VXR, Wave Runner III and 90-93 Super Jet.
        Going by that, I figure there's a good chance that a VXR head would work. You can go to www.yamahapart.com and look at the two heads to see if the cooling plumbing will work.

Comment

thanks for the help!!!! will look into the dirrerent head opptions,

Comment

Working...
          X