No announcement yet.

XL1200 motor got water in it. Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XL1200 motor got water in it. Now what?

As the subject says, I have an XL1200 motor that got water in it and then sat for a month or two. I've taken it to the dealer who tore the motor down and proclaimed I needed a new one, at the price of $6000.00. (BTW, he also said there was no after market /reman motor source). Needless to say, I picked up my ski and headed home with a pile of parts.

So what are my options. I know I can get a new motor from SBT, and I also saw that they sell crankshafts. Do I need a whole new motor, or can I get a new cranskcaft and just rebuild mine. The only thing that looks really crappy is the crank. Keep in mind that this motor didn't pop. I brought it home, not realizing it had water in the motor. When it wouldn't crank I took it to the dealer thinking I had a fried starter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Justin

You need a whole new motor.

Comment

Probably will need an entirely new shortblock assembly. Does water shoot out of the spark plug holes when turning it over? if so then might as well get a new motor.
      _ _ _ _ _ <br />Toys:<br />1994 Sea-Doo XP w/ FPP

Comment

Since the engine is in a box, in pieces, I doubt there is water shooting out of the spark plug holes.
        John Kubiak
        Powersports Technical Training Professional
        Las Vegas, Nevada
        Sea-Doo Tech 13736
        PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
        PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
        NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
        Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Whole motor eh? That's what I feared. So as far as sending the core to SBT, what will I need to include? I looked over the document here on the web, but being my motor is dissasembled, what about the smaller parts, like bolts, bearings or whatever? Do you guys want the old pistons, or do you just need the case / jugs / head? Can I ship it in parts like it is? I'd hate to have to try and figure out which bolts go, whick bolts stay, etc.

Thanks,

Comment

Do not ship extra parts, they will not be returned.

We need your cases, crank, cylinders, head, head cover, case brackets, and all the bolts to assemble the block. Remove your flywheel and PTO coupler from the block.

Comment

Ok, I guess I'll have to figure out which bolts are the ones I need to ship.

What manual would you recommend for some help? I know Clymers has one for this model. Is that one good, or is there a better one out there.

One other question. Are the carburetors a concern here. My understanding of what happened is that the water got in through there (?). The reedblock is pretty cruddy. Can I just clean that up and relace the reeds (figured I'd throw some Boysen's in while I'm at it). How can I determine if the carbs are OK?

Comment

Clymers manuals SUCK ! [img]graemlins/buck.gif[/img]

Get a factory Yamaha service manual. Call Riva Yamaha at 1-800-241-4544 (they do not list them on the website but they DO have them) OR go to Parker Yamaha .

Good luck !
                Pat<br />2001 XLT1200<br />Pump Plug Kit/Sealed Fercho Style<br />Riva Intake Grate<br />Riva Rideplate<br />Solas Concord 12/18 <br />Solas Billet Impeller Cone<br />Custom Hydro-Turf Seat Cover<br />Riva/Rule Bilge Pump Kit<br />Riva Billet Gas Cap

Comment

As long as your reed cages can clean up, you can just put new petals in, yes.

Comment

Working...
                  X