yamaha tech question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha tech question

i just purchased a 1988 gp800 with a blown engine. ( the price right ) i tore it down and found number two rod broke a hole in the case below it and a piece of the cylinder broke off. my question is this. am i better to put a short block in it or rebuild what i have? crank appears to be in good condition. any advise?
    thanks!!!

#1-Crank will have to be overhauled, new brgs at all position, as metal has probably been rolled in all the rollers/races.

2-I have a shop that does race car-tractor pull engines, so weld of block is trivial for them.

The rest is trivial work for you and local machine shop to fit new pistons.
    ***1100 Venture***<br />OE head mod-- by Riva Yamaha<br />Wiseco (+ .5mm)<br />True-welded crank<br />Riva F/A+ Jet kit<br />Boyeson Power reeds<br />Riva 1100 CDI<br />NGK plugs- BR8HS<br />R&D Aqua-Vein<br />Solas 14-21 Super Camber//Impros<br />Riva rideplate<br />Amsoil "AIO" @ 50:1 pre-mix, currently KLOTZ Ski-Craft<br />MOBIL-1 grease in the pump<br />Sears Diehard<br /><br /> Dream-meter shows 65---- GPS says 54.2 mph best, 9/14/02 @ 850 ft elevation

Comment

Thanks!! I only wish my engine looked like yours

Comment

If you swap with us, don't repair the case - we need to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by bill williams:
          Thanks!! I only wish my engine looked like yours
          Are you sure? I seen a 800 recently, definitely lees stuff on the 800, even more room to get at most whatever in the hull. You gots to see a 1100 or 1200 shoe-horned into a hull.
          ***1100 Venture***<br />OE head mod-- by Riva Yamaha<br />Wiseco (+ .5mm)<br />True-welded crank<br />Riva F/A+ Jet kit<br />Boyeson Power reeds<br />Riva 1100 CDI<br />NGK plugs- BR8HS<br />R&D Aqua-Vein<br />Solas 14-21 Super Camber//Impros<br />Riva rideplate<br />Amsoil "AIO" @ 50:1 pre-mix, currently KLOTZ Ski-Craft<br />MOBIL-1 grease in the pump<br />Sears Diehard<br /><br /> Dream-meter shows 65---- GPS says 54.2 mph best, 9/14/02 @ 850 ft elevation

Comment

Working...
          X