New Top End???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Top End???

As your dealer apparently does not know what they are doing check the compression yourself
    before doing anything. The Technical section on this site tells you how.

[ October 04, 2002, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: 99gp1200 ]

And if you do indeed have bad compression, yes swaping a shortblock is almost cheaper, and certainly easier than rebuilding your engine.

Comment

I took my ski(1999 XL760) to Yamaha back at the beginning of the summer when it was having problems running(making metallic noises, constantly dying, took forever to get up to full speed) and they told me it was the drive shaft which cost me around 650.00 to fix. When I picked the ski up it ran somewhat better but still had similar problems. It would die constanly, ran slow and sometimes would take awhile to run up to full speed. I took it back the the Yamaha dealer and they told me it is now a top end problem. This is the quote off the Repair Order: "Tech did comp test, rear cylinder at 90 PSI, Front at 150 PSI. Needs new top end." I tried to get Yamaha to pay for this because I feel they did not correctly diagnose the problem the first time around. They however claim it was always two seperate problems(driveshaft and now the top end). This is going to cost me around 1000.00 at Yamaha and I am not going to give them another cent of my money. Can I fix this without replacing the engine with little difficulty(I have looked over the SBT instructions for installing a new engine and it looks straight forward) or is the cheapest and easiest route for me to just swap for a new engine with SBT? Any other suggestions? Thanks!!!

Comment

fixing a top end usually runs abou 700$. if you know what to do and can do it yourself you may get away with 200$ if you have no scoring and pistons are good. if you have scoring and need machine work and new pistons it can run up to 500$ in parts alone or more depending on the motor you have.
        If you are somewhat mechanically inclined we can walk you through the procedure or better yet have a manual handy.
        Like bryan said in most cases a rebuild motor is jsut as cheap as a top end costs from a shop. What happend to you is exactly the reason I do not take my skis to the dealer. im sure they have some decent techs in some dealers but most of them are either inexperienced or pissed off cause they work there.
        Rob

Comment

Working...
        X