starter not working... test? how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter not working... test? how?

hello, i have a 96 waverunner III and when i go to start it nothing hapens at all. no noise or anything. i was wondering how you would test to see if the starter was fried or if its maybe the switch? i have the exaust manafold off and found the starter. now what??
    if its the starter how much money to fix myself? would it be to hard for a non pwc mechanic to do like myself? what is the selionoid? would that be fried? the ski worked fine then one day just didnt turn over.

PS. thanks for the forum sbt

Re: starter not working... test? how?

Remove the round cover from the black box at the rear of the engine bay, Inside you should see a red wire with a fuse holder. Check the fuse inside it if bad replace and retest.

If the fuse is good remove that black box from the rear of the engine bay and open it up you will see the starter solinoid it will be the part that the battery +cable and starter cable go to. Jump the two large terminals with a large screwdriver and the starter should turn over the engine. If not either the battery is bad, wires are bad or have a bad connection, or the starter is bad. Be sure to check the battery - cable also it should connect from the battery to the engine itself behind the starter.

If it does turn over when you jump the solinoid then the problem is in the start circut. It could be the solinoid itself the handle switch or the connection to them.

Do theese test and let us know what you find.
    Look also in the tech section under what to do if the ski won't start.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Re: starter not working... test? how?

hey i got it started!!!! i jumped the seloniod with screwdriver and the starter turned. then i checked the start switch conection traced the cord into the motor compartment and messed with the plastic conector peice hanging there and it started for me.. it was a corroded start botton connection. i got the corosion off with a sharp screwdriver tip.

thanks for the help!!!

i still need to winterize this thing though and i need help on were to put the low tox anti freeze?? and how to pump it in? and how to fog the motor ? im going to post another to ask a winterizing question...

Comment

Working...
      X