Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchasing a sunken yamaha...what am i up against?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing a sunken yamaha...what am i up against?

I am considering purchasing a 1995 yamaha 1100 that was sunk in fresh water. It is considerably far away and the guy did nothing after he pulled it out of the water. I at least am faced with rebuilding the engine. Duh. I am not particularly farmiliar with these machines though so i dont know what else i would be faceing as far as electronic problems. I know from seeing sunken boat projects that this is a major factor. however on these ski's most of the electronics seem to be sealed. Any ideas as to what I would be facing other than an engine rebuild would be awesome. The guy also says he doesnt know how the ski sank....... im guessing drain plugs... he sounds like a real homer. how do these skis pick water up for cooling is it possible he broke a cooling line? I know that can sink an inboard boat like a rock. Thank you for your help. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. :emoticonb

Re: Purchasing a sunken yamaha...what am i up against?

It also just dawned on me that there could be a crack in the seal from the plate on the bottom? Or maby there is a cracked boot that seperates the pump system from the hull? How dificult is it to remove the pump and plate system in these things? My friend did nothing but swear at his sea-doo because of a supposed re-alignment tool he didnt have.....I have a solid mechanical background and i cant imagine it being all that huge of a project... Again thanks for your time and interest.

Comment

There is no way anyone can guess - you have to inspect it. You could easily need more into it than a good running ski is worth, it doesn't take much.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I hope you don't pay more than about $100.00 for a sunken 1995 PWC in unknown/questionable condition. You may end up with wiring, steering cable, plus the engine replacement...This can go waaaay over the value of the ski very easily!!! BE CAUTIOUS, BE CAREFUL!!!!
        John Kubiak
        Powersports Technical Training Professional
        Las Vegas, Nevada
        Sea-Doo Tech 13736
        PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
        PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
        NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
        Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X