FX140 Not Reaching 10,000 RPM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FX140 Not Reaching 10,000 RPM's

Just wondered what could be limiting my FX140 from reaching 10,000 RPM's. I thought it was the nicked and bent impeller so I changed it out with a Solas 12/18 and guess what I still can't get above 9,200 RPM. The max speed on GPS is 47 mph even with the new impeller. Pulled all the plugs and they were normal not wet or oily. Did have an oil overfill problem last year that reduced my performance but the dealer traced that to a fouled plug and replaced them all.

Re: FX140 Not Reaching 10,000 RPM's

Try riding it without the air filter

Comment

Thanks for the info. Decided to try that today as a matter of fact and now I'm happy again sorta. Got 55.5 mph on the GPS and 60 on dreamometer with 10,000 RPM again. Looks like there was still some oil in the engine area and the filter got clogged again. Going to put in a Riva power filter and vertical stacks before spring which should solve all my problems and maybe give me a little more top end. :)

Comment

Not sure it's wise to be running a ski with no air filter, I take it you meant that advice as a quick/temporary test?
        Does anyone know why Yamaha continues to incorporate this paper filter in their skis; is there a reason for the paper filter instead of the Riva product,
        seems like they would change to another type of filter at the factory level, has anyone spoke with a Yamaha rep about this? I talked to my dealer about installing the Riva kit to deal with the oil clogging issue and he acted like he had never heard of this issue. (IOW, is is possible for the engine to be damaged by the 3rd party filter) also big question here--if I get the Riva filter/stack kit will this void my Yamaha extended warranty? Do we have any Yamaha reps/dealers on this forum who can address this issue?

Comment

the paper filter is designed to help stop water intrusion...overfilling the oil tank allows oil from the crankcase breather system to clog filter....this model is the first to have an air filter...it is really not needed because dirt isn't present on water....it's just added protection...and I meant remove it for testing...

Comment

Working...
          X