XL700 no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XL700 no power

Hello from Melbourne Australia, I have a Yamaha XL700 that I am having problems with. It will rev out nicely on the trailer but under load the ski is sluggish. It will almost stall in a left hand turn and improves again when going right. The compressions are 120 on both cylinders. I have cleaned the carbs, checked the reed valves and inspected the impellor. Any clues, could it be a timing problem. Any advice would be great.

Re: XL700 no power

Timing is fixed and is non adjustable...compression should be around 150-170...either you have carb problems or compression problems....also check for exhaust leaks

Comment

I have two of these skis, both have identical compression, one does it and one doesn't. The only difference I can hear out of the water is the one that plays up sounds just a little bit crisper in the exhaust. Thnaks David

Comment

run engine for 15 seconds without water...pull plug caps off plugs...are both plugs same temp? perhaps your compression guage is off are these old rental skis?

Comment

Problem solved. I think. I removed the flywheel and the stator was loose. In fact the bolts had come right out. I have fitted new bolts and loctited them in. It sounds great. I will let the forum know how it goes in the water.

Thanks

Comment

Sounds like one is at the point of running too lean. Open up the high speed adjuster on each carb 1/8 - 1/4 turn and see if things change.
            Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
            X