Simple Green for cleaning the engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Green for cleaning the engine?

I saw a post about using simple green to clean the engine of grime. I am going to take apart the engine, and wait for my gasket set to arrive. Is it better just to let the parts sit in a tub of the stuff overnight and let it work it's magic, or do I apply and scrub?

Yeah, it's a little dirty :)

Re: Simple Green for cleaning the engine?

I would try and keep it out of the internals of the motor.You could clean up the exhaust with it and then either get the parts sand blasted or wet sand them,then use an epoxy paint to make them look nice again.If sand blasting...tape off all of the gasket surfaces and use a file for cleaning those surfaces.

On the engine parts,I prefer to use a mineral based product so that you dont have to use any water for rinsing..I think Simple green is water based also.WD40 with a green scrubby will do the trick just fine to get all the grub off.

On the inside of the hull...yes,use any type of degreaser and scotchbrite(green scrubby)
    Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

or, you can pour in a bucket of water and some bilge cleaner, then drive around on the trailer for a while and slosh it around, then drain it and wipe it off. Its very powerful stuff, and is made for bigger boats that you cant reach to scrub, but I see no problem using it in a ski.

Comment

Bigle cleaner as K6jet said for the hull. Be careful what you use as petrol base solvents will eat the styrene and will end up a mess.

Ping!:)

Comment

Dawn Dishwashing Detergent is an excellent choice, really cuts the grease, has a pleasant smell, and is readily available in most stores.
          John Kubiak
          Powersports Technical Training Professional
          Las Vegas, Nevada
          Sea-Doo Tech 13736
          PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
          PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
          NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
          Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
          X